Simple project: High fun return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
For the last few years I have made and hung nesting blocks for solitary cavity nesting bees. This nesting is geared towards Blue Orchard bees. They are only active in the spring for about 6 weeks, but I get a lot of enjoyment watching their progress. It allows me to somewhat satisfy my urge to keep bees and I get a good blueberry crop for the birds.:gar-La;

IMG_0521.jpg

Here is a link to the album with more photos.
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u13/gyozu/Mason Bee Blocks/

I have been working on bringing in more plants for pollinators. Next, will be nesting blocks for other cavity nesting bees that are active later in the year and an attempt to find and build some sort of nest that will attract bumble Bees. The Bumbles are hard workers and active all year.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing Mark. It is nice to know that you are such a strong advocate when they need all the help they can get with the widespread incidence of colony collapse. :wsmile:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Interesting . . .
I did a little Googling and there's quite a bit of info out there.
Think I'll be making a nest or two this weekend :eusa_danc

pete

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Does anybody know if something like this would give carpenter bees a place to nest and prevent them from nesting in decks, houses, etc.? :dontknow: They cause a bit of damage to my house and deck every year.

Chris

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Ptt49er:
Yes I did have bees use it the first year. I got it out mid March in 08 and filled about 24 tubes of 48. Last year I filled all the blocks for a total of about 106 tubes. Each holds 9-10 cocoons.

ChrisB:
The Carpenter bees seem to prefer my Eaves, deck and untreated lumber over the bee houses. Maybe you could leave blocks of wood hanging out as sacrificial wood chunks.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Unfortunately, one of my kids is terrified of bees. In the spring and summer, he doesn't even want to go out to the mailbox without a tennis racket. :eek:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's a neat project that benefits both you and the bees. Never heard of these bees before, but there's a bunch of useful and informative information at Google. :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors