Simple French Cleat Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
I am putting together my shop and have a simple question that I am sure has many correct answes. I have 8' ceilings and was wondering what heights to mount French Cleats - haven't decided on 1 or 2 horizontal strips.

I am sure many before have thought about this and decided on what seems like a good height.

Thanks in advance,

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
how tall are you? When I was putting up the slat wall in my shop I reached up as far as I could standing on the floor to determine the height and placement of my storage. I also have a small step stool and have placed cabinets at higher levels for less used tools and equipment, (I have 10ft ceilings so that is a blessing too) The great thing about setting up your shop is that you can do it your way! How it best suits you, and the cleat system is awesome because you can make movable panels with finishing supply's, sandpaper, glue, small hand tools etc, move around the shop as you progress through a construction process. Hope I have helped, be blessed friend.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The height of your cabinet and the width of the cleat will determine that for you.
If you want any "head room" above the cabinet you will need to drop the cleat below the ceileing to compensate for that.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I am putting together my shop and have a simple question that I am sure has many correct answers. I have 8' ceilings and was wondering what heights to mount French Cleats - haven't decided on 1 or 2 horizontal strips.

I am sure many before have thought about this and decided on what seems like a good height.

Thanks in advance,

Use one, two would be extremely difficult to align exactly. Even .001" would negate it's load carrying ability.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Use one, two would be extremely difficult to align exactly. Even .001" would negate it's load carrying ability.

I used two.
I first installed both wall cleats as dead level as my eyes allow.
Then I installed the top cleat on the cabinet.
I put a scrap of paper on top of the wall cleat in the vee.
I hung the empty cabinet by the top cleat.
I slid the bottom cleat behind the cabinet.
I popped those nasty drywall screws through the cabinet into the lower cleat.
I removed the paper spacer.

So far, no fall, and they fit wherever I put them.

YMMV.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I interpreted two rows of cleats differently.
Two rows meaning one row to hang high stuff and one row for low stuff. With no single item sitting on both rows. If used in that fashion, it should alleviate the above concerns. But that may not be what Mitch meant. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors