Simple Desktop

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hello all. I work from home, not woodworking, unfortunately. That said, I am currently (temporarily) using an Ikea desktop and some of their bolt on legs, my mom used to use this table as a craft table, it is pretty old. I need more desk space, but don't have time/not ready to build the "long-term" office furniture... My question, I am thinking of using these Ikea legs (picture of current desk attached), but just making a new top. Do you think that 2 sheets of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood, face-glued, with the leg configuration shown, would it bow in the center (or maybe I should ask, how much bow could I expect?)

Would I be better off using two sheets of 1/2" ply, and creating a small torsion box? Then I would be forced to come up with some type of edge treatment, whereas above, I would leave the plywood edges exposed.

All of this is temporary, a year or two at best. I have a plan to eventually make a built in desk/workspace/storage along this entire wall. This is in our bonus room.

Current Setup:
IMG_4375.jpg

Proposed Desktop:
Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 9.19.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-07 at 9.19.38 AM.png

FlyingRon

Ron
Straight plywood is going to bow especially under the weight of computers and the like. You'll either have to give it more support or, as I have done many times, make a torsion box. Essentially, you're making wooden i-beams. You take two (can be thinner) plywood skins and then a web of wooden structure inside. Since you're a IKEA aficionado that's essentially what a lot of their stuff is (look at the LACK wall mounted shelves for example).

They're pretty easy even duffer woodworkers to build. I just lay out the stuff on the floor, slap the glue on it, and then pile heavy stuff on top (I use bags of water softener salt).

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-7413-how-to-build-a-torsion-box/

ste6168

New User
Mike
Have you considered a solid core door? Habitat Restores usually have them for less than $30.

I have, but that wouldn't give me the L-shape I am looking to obtain... Unless I stitched two of them together. Hmm...

ste6168

New User
Mike
Straight plywood is going to bow especially under the weight of computers and the like. You'll either have to give it more support or, as I have done many times, make a torsion box. Essentially, you're making wooden i-beams. You take two (can be thinner) plywood skins and then a web of wooden structure inside. Since you're a IKEA aficionado that's essentially what a lot of their stuff is (look at the LACK wall mounted shelves for example).

They're pretty easy even duffer woodworkers to build. I just lay out the stuff on the floor, slap the glue on it, and then pile heavy stuff on top (I use bags of water softener salt).

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-7413-how-to-build-a-torsion-box/

Yes, this is the route I was thinking about going, but it's still far more work. Not only creating the torsion box, but then also having to put hardwood (or something) around the edge. With doubled ply, the plan was to simply leave the edges exposed and slightly round-over the top. I have a second desk using these legs, with doubled MDF, that has bowed slighty but is still very usable. Just wondering if ply would be any better... Doesn't appear that way, though I may still give it a shot.

I wouldn't call myself an IKEA aficionado, lol, just cheap, or poor, or frugal.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I would suggest you go with the double layer ply and laminate both sides. This will add a huge amount sag resistance, but even still I would install some kind of support frame underneath. Use the horizontal (the thicker countertop) laminate.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
All of this is temporary, a year or two at best.
Plywood should be stiffer then MDF and less prone to sagging. Two layers of 3/4" should be fine.

Put some numbers in to the Sagulator to see about how much sagging. Here's what I got for 1.5" of fir plywood (96" x 24") with a total load of 200 pounds.

Sag: 0.28" total. Borderline acceptable

ste6168

New User
Mike

Yeah, and that is a total span of 96" (I think?). In this case, there would be a center leg, but only on the back side/one edge. That may help support it even more. I may explore some other options before I decide fully...

Another thought I had was to build a simple support structure, utilizing pieces of the plywood cutout sections to create the L. Something similar to this, which may give the top a bit more support. Again though, although its still not much, getting into a more complicated build. I may be better off scouring craiglist, and the like, for a used L desk. :p

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.41.26 PM.png

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Just try building it using the Ikea legs without all of the other stuff to complicate it. It's a temporary table for your computer stuff so don't fret about it-----it's not gonna collapse in a pile on the floor!

ste6168

New User
Mike
Just try building it using the Ikea legs without all of the other stuff to complicate it. It's a temporary table for your computer stuff so don't fret about it-----it's not gonna collapse in a pile on the floor!

Thats the kick in the butt I needed. Thanks Jeff, I think I am going to give it a shot!

ste6168

New User
Mike
UPDATE: I wen't ahead with the double-plywood desktop, got it setup last night, and working on it today. So far, I really like it, much cleaner than the old one, and more space! Since it started as a single sheet of ply, the 'L' shape isn't quite big enough, but it will work, until I have the time/desire to build something nicer. I ended up re-using the Ikea legs for the front/most visible legs, and just cut a piece of 2x4 for the farthest two (in the back). Honestly, it is pretty sturdy, and hardly deflects at all when I push in the front-center, so we shall see.

Initially I tried to laminated both sheets together, but it was too hot outside, and glue dried before I could finish rolling it out. Ended up cutting the desktop from the pre-finished (1 side) sheet, then rough cutting the other, laminating together best I could, then using a pattern bit to get the edges clean. Sanded the edges to 220, eased the top corner, and called it done. Nothing special, by any means, but I think it will work just fine "temporarily (which could be quite a while, lol)"

IMG_4622.jpeg

IMG_4623.jpeg

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Looks good!

And like it could last for a little while to a long while (I can’t remember how many times a temporary solution becomes long term for me).

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Keeping it simple, as you've done, it turned out pretty nice and sturdy too. It appears to suit your needs for now. I see only one 2 x 4 in the back center. ???

"cut a piece of 2x4 for the farthest two (in the back). Honestly, it is pretty sturdy, and hardly deflects at all when I push in the front-center, so we shall see."

Last edited:

ste6168

New User
Mike
Very back corner. You can just barely see it in that picture. I may eventually get a couple more of these Ikea legs to replace those, at $4 a piece. Not that anyone else ever is really upstairs in the office, but... I will also do something about the spaghetti mess of wires, but I started the change-over late last night, and needed to be ready to work today. My GF told me to wait until the weekend, 30 minutes into the project, I agreed with her. LOL

IMG_4624.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS