Simple Candlesticks

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Here are a couple of "custom" pillar candlesticks at my wife's request. I'm not all that comfortable turning, and the edges of many of the cuts are not as sharp as they really should be. However, when sandpaper is the turning tool with which one is most proficient, that is one of the by products. In any case, she's happy with them and that is all that counts! IMG_9553.JPGIMG_9555.JPG

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
When "mama's happy...." Hope you sign and date them. The week before she passed away, my mother gave me a pair I made and gave to her when I was in 10th grade . First things I made on a lathe the shop teacher didn't take the bandsaw to. She loved them, and I was kinda proud of them then - now? I have proof I have improved somewhat :)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Turning on the old Shopsmith are ya. The Shopsmith is not the best lathe around. I've had one for many years (60s) The add on heavy tool rest improves this a lot. My mark 520 is now my drill press. It's still a great machine. I was introduced to Shopsmith by my 1st shop teacher in 7th grade shop. This was in the 50s the Mark 5 was just being put on the market. I was the Shopsmith mentor for the Charlotte Woodworker's Club for a few years.

By-the-way, The candle sticks look great,.

Pop :)

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
When "mama's happy...." Hope you sign and date them. The week before she passed away, my mother gave me a pair I made and gave to her when I was in 10th grade . First things I made on a lathe the shop teacher didn't take the bandsaw to. She loved them, and I was kinda proud of them then - now? I have proof I have improved somewhat :)
That is a good idea. I did not sign and date these but will. Maybe the grand kids will find them someday.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Pop, I bought the Shopsmith a long time ago because it was the only way I could have any wood working equipment as storage was confined to an outside closet off the carport. As you know, there are lots of limitations, but still much better than many alternatives. You are right about its use as a lathe. Mine tends to bounce a lot if anything larger than 2 inch stock is put on it. However, at least I get to try to learn how to use a lathe!

Ed, You are right. A matched set is not yet in my ability level! Still fun to play with designs and shapes when the Oh Nos with a skew require design changes. I think I need to practice with something other than oak.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS