Signs needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We need to have several small signs made for the outreach events to help remind people to stay safe.

Can somebody help with this?

And do you have suggestions for better wording or other reminders?

For your safety we ask the following be observed.

Remove any loose or dangling jewelry.

Put long hair up (we have rubber bands if needed)

Roll up long sleeves.

Wear the safety glasses provided.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
If you are referring to paper, home-printed signs, I can zap a few out. For professional, wood signs, your are the man. I think it would also be good to have a sign-in sheet for our volunteers. It's sometimes difficult to recognize those who drop in for an hour or so.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
For your safety we ask the following be observed.

Remove any loose or dangling jewelry.

Put long hair up (we have rubber bands if needed)

Roll up long sleeves.

Wear the safety glasses provided.

Not much different, but here's my suggstion

Safety Checklist for Power Tools

1. Wear Safety Glasses (provided)
2. Prevent 'getting caught'
Hair - Tie back long hair
Clothing - Roll up long sleeves; removes scarves; tie back any loose or dangling clothes
Jewelry - Remove any loose or dangling jewelry

gator

George
Corporate Member
Instead of 'rubber bands' I think it should be 'hair bands'. I speak from experience with a daughter and two granddaughters that proper 'hair bands' rather than rubber bands are preferred.

George

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
While a sign made out of wood, would be great, I think a very visible sign made with contrasting colors would be more appropriate.

The wording so far suggested is good.

I think one more sign is needed - it should be a height sign "You must be this tall in order to use the lathe". Similar to the ones you see at carnival rides.

There were a couple of children that came through on Friday at the Extravaganza that were too short for the lathe tools to be tucked under their arms. For one, mama made the light saber; another backed out and said that was alright. The other one I made for the boy because his brother made one and his mother had her arms full trying to keep the smallest one engaged for her to make it for him.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
can I suggest we add one more (or three, or more 7?)

"Safety glasses required to use this machine" (three lathes, drill press, sander, band saw, scroll saw)
safety_glasses.jpg

I did a quick search and these can be purchased online and found this alternative;

http://www.safetysign.com/products/5202/danger-do-not-operate-without-sign?s=st1zsk170dzspjs7zbsnv

I think it is a good reminder for the "volunteer" and for the "student"

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
can I suggest we add one more (or three, or more 7?)

"Safety glasses required to use this machine" (three lathes, drill press, sander, band saw, scroll saw)
safety_glasses.jpg

I did a quick search and these can be purchased online and found this alternative;

http://www.safetysign.com/products/5202/danger-do-not-operate-without-sign?s=st1zsk170dzspjs7zbsnv

I think it is a good reminder for the "volunteer" and for the "student"

Too many different signs may be confusing. this is covered on the safety sign i proposed.

I think 3-4 simple rules should cover everything.

Don't want to overwhelm them with reading a book or several different signs.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
You could do the old stand by regular paper laminated. Might be better to get some printed on gator board that will last for a while. Gator board is what all those political yard signs are made up of. A 12”x18” sign in one color might run $15 each, maybe less. Haven’t priced gator board in a while

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Too many different signs may be confusing. this is covered on the safety sign i proposed.

I think 3-4 simple rules should cover everything.

Don't want to overwhelm them with reading a book or several different signs.
O.K.
I disagree, I think the signage you suggest at the "front of the line" so they can ask someone questions and then signage on or at the machines reinforces it for the "student" and the "teacher."

JMHO

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
While a sign made out of wood, would be great, I think a very visible sign made with contrasting colors would be more appropriate.

The wording so far suggested is good.

I think one more sign is needed - it should be a height sign "You must be this tall in order to use the lathe". Similar to the ones you see at carnival rides.

There were a couple of children that came through on Friday at the Extravaganza that were too short for the lathe tools to be tucked under their arms. For one, mama made the light saber; another backed out and said that was alright. The other one I made for the boy because his brother made one and his mother had her arms full trying to keep the smallest one engaged for her to make it for him.

I own a sign company and could help with some of these signs if you want a nice, professional look versus just printed on paper.

Could even do a height sign, maybe some woodworking looking dude with hand held out saying "You Must Be This High" to use lathe.

Made out of coroplast, same material used on all those square real estate and "we buy ugly houses" signs made out, so good incase inclement weather strikes outdoor event and they get wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS