Sign-Up - Scratch stock build and use workshop - Sept 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Now planning for a Raleigh workshop on how to build and use scratch stocks. Everybody will build a holder and file and sharpen various profiles and most importantly learn how to use them.

Please sign up here - the normal $30 donation will be required

A TBD lunch will be provided

There will be a max of 10 students

1. Bear Republic
2. MikeH
3. DRW

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry I should have described what a scratch stock is. A fairly simple hand tool that holds almost any shape cutter - shapes that you can make to fit your needs. This tool is much easier to use for edge treatment on drawer fronts, small boxes and much more - You can do beading, fluting or reeding or make your own cutters for ogees, ovals or scotias

Here is a piece made with a scratch stock, much easier than doing this with a router
attachment.php

Attachments

• scratchstock09.jpg
    scratchstock09.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 329

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
There are some good videos on YouTube. Just search for it. Its a great way to add detail to the edge on something.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Sign me up. This looks like a great workshop! Thanks Phil! It would also be good to see you Phil since I haven't seen you since I picked up all those commercial flourescent lights years ago.

Mike

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Scratchstocks come in a variety of shapes and designs. The scatchstocks I use most often have long bodies and work more like a spokeshave when held. The scratchstock Mike D directs you to has no depth stop and it is not useful on curves like the bow on the chair below.

Learning to make one model will open up design details you can't find with production router bits. Its a great tool to have in the shop and you don't have to make a big investment to get rolling.

Cutters can be shaped from old hacksaw blades, bandsaw blades and card scrapers that rusted or have some pitting.

Will post a few photos of my rough tools if there is interest.

The small detail - the groove in the bow is done with a scratchstock. It takes a while to work in but it gives the bow a little detail that breaks up the flat surface.

1-14_mar_062.JPG

bowback_day_17jun2016_0031.JPG

chairs_bows_003.JPG

bowback_day_17jun2016_003.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I wasn't trying to make a comprehensive history and use thesis on scratch stocks.
Just one example for folks who had no idea what this is about.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I'm very interested but have had to cancel on these often. I'll see about a late sneak in if we'll at that time.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I wasn't trying to make a comprehensive history and use thesis on scratch stocks.
Just one example for folks who had no idea what this is about.

Woo sorry Mike didn't mean to ruffle any of your feathers. Comments directed at the style of stock.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Not ruffled.

"The scratchstock Mike D directs you to has no depth stop and it is not useful on curves like the bow on the chair below."

Wasn't sure what you meant by this. I was just showing only one example. There are many other styles and shapes as with any tool.

Don't even know what Phil has in mind for his workshop...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't even know what Phil has in mind for his workshop...

I am not sure yet - There are dozens of designs out there, but I like to do my own design. Not better, just mine.

It will be easy to make and even easier to use, hopefully. It will include some sort of depth stop and be useable on curves. I have one of the two handed scratch stocks from that guy in Maine and have a Hock design on order - final design could be something between.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I am not sure yet - There are dozens of designs out there, but I like to do my own design. Not better, just mine.

It will be easy to make and even easier to use, hopefully. It will include some sort of depth stop and be useable on curves. I have one of the two handed scratch stocks from that guy in Maine and have a Hock design on order - final design could be something between.

1-windsor_short_009.JPG

The scraper above has a straight fence or guide. This is good for straight edges but not for curves like a chair bow.

1-windsor_short_010.JPG

The scraper above has an arrow or pointed fence. You can barely see the point of the hacksaw blade poking out to the right of the woodend arrowhead. It is locked in place with the 2 screws. Its nice to have the adjustable fence it really helps with small touches.

1-windsor_short_008.JPG

Same thing just a little better look at the fence and point.
1-14_mar_062.JPG

Hopefully you can see the small channel on the inner and outer edge of the bow face.

1-14_mar_061.JPG

For now that's the best I can do with my photos in the Gallery. This is just another possibility when thinking of scratch work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS