Sideboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
This walnut with satinwood and ebony sideboard has been my latest project worth showing. All my other work lately has been HONEY DO projects :swoon:
DSC_00671.JPG

View image in gallery

. The sideboard is for our local schools annual fund raising auction. Sorry about the mess my maid has been on vacation.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Another masterpiece there, Larry.

Very elegant and a timeless design. :eusa_clap

Wayne

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Larry, very nice!!!. Walnut and Satinwood combined is one of my favorites. Curious why you chose to darken the Satinwood?

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Larry, very nice!!!. Walnut and Satinwood combined is one of my favorites. Curious why you chose to darken the Satinwood?

I thought the satinwood is a little too bright for the look that I was trying to get and toned it down to get an aged feeling.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
As usual, Larry, a beautiful piece of work. I like the satinwood treatment for exactly the reason that you stated. Thanks for sharing this.

Matt

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Is it a solid wood top? Have you allowed for wood movement?

Yes it's a solid top but since the banding is thin veneer, I don't think the wood movement is a problem. If you meant the way the top is attached, I uses clips in a groove to allow for any movement.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very nice and a great thing you're doing for the school. I've done that in the past and it brings in a lot of money.

Red

SeanStuart

New User
SeanStuart
Yes it's a solid top but since the banding is thin veneer, I don't think the wood movement is a problem. If you meant the way the top is attached, I uses clips in a groove to allow for any movement.

Beautiful sideboard; love the big dovetail on the board separating the drawers.

I understand attaching he top to a piece to prevent cracking. Is wood movement an issue when joining two different species into a larger plank, or when putting a band around the top as you have done?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Beautiful sideboard; love the big dovetail on the board separating the drawers.

I understand attaching he top to a piece to prevent cracking. Is wood movement an issue when joining two different species into a larger plank, or when putting a band around the top as you have done?

Sean, I have many pieces which have stood the test of time with banding in and around the top. Some of them have travelled by sea in closed containers and then placed back in service in a dry environment. The key is to keep the banding no thicker than 3/32" and use a PVA based glue which allows a little stretch.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Sean, I have many pieces which have stood the test of time with banding in and around the top. Some of them have travelled by sea in closed containers and then placed back in service in a dry environment. The key is to keep the banding no thicker than 3/32" and use a PVA based glue which allows a little stretch.
ditto

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is Amazing~! I really like the combination and how you toned down the Satinwood to match the tone of the Walnut.

Great work as always~!

MagGeorge

New User
George
Gorgeous sideboard! Like the elegant design, great build and the beautiful wood and finish. A great project for a great cause.

-www.sawblade.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS