Side Chair construction tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Upon making some dining room chairs, I was in a dilemma about how to machine the back leg.
The back leg and back-rest were cut as one unit on a bandsaw (see photos). I had no problem sanding the kerf-marks on a stationary belt sander, but the joint where the seat attaches became a problem.
I dunno how the pros do it, but here is a method I came up with that worked perfectly.
I'll let the pictures do the talking:

chair.jpg

chairrail.jpg

chair1.jpg

chair2.jpg

Once you have the square face, you can then use a mortise and tenon, dowels, or whatever method you choose to attach the seat side piece. I used a Festool domino loose tenon on mine. The joint is tight and solid!

Matt...

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Very Nice Matt~!

Never made a chair, but if I ever do I will remember this info. Thanks~!

And What a Nice Name you Have~!

Matthew

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Good solution.

Another method is to layout the leg and cut the mortises while it's still square and then bandsaw the curve being sure to leave the area around the mortise flat.

pete

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Sure Pete, that works (layout the leg and cut the mortises while it's still square and then bandsaw the curve being sure to leave the area around the mortise flat), if you have a square piece to start with! I needed to make 5 chairs, so needed ten legs out of two 12" wide walnut planks. Had to lay out the bandsaw cut very tight to get the pieces I needed and conserve the precious walnut!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS