Shot at Alan in Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
[STRIKE]I believe I'd contact Reggie first & ask if he'd be willing to tone it down. [/STRIKE]
Oh, never mind......
Just unapprove it (remove from public view, I assume, not hard delete) & contact Alan for final verdict. Who knows, the man may have a sense of humor. At least it will show we're trying to be fair in our job.
MTCW

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think Reggie's meaning is harmless here. I think he is making a ego boosting post (Alan's) ego that is. I could be wrong though. Basically calling Alan a jack of all trades so to speak.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Well... I guess I typed too fast. I already sent a PM to Alan. (Now you guys are going to cut my pay). I think Dennis has a good point. This will (hopefully) let Alan we treat all fairly and that his feelings are to be considered.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Just got a note back from Alan that ended with "... go ahead and post it..." I will un-moderate (not sure there is such a word) the post and let it be.

Here is my note to Alan and his reply (guess I can't say I didn't ask for it...)

Originally Posted by Ray Martin
Alan,

I was reading through some of the posts a little while ago. I came across a joke posted to Steve Cole's thread about definition of insanity. Someone posted a remark about asking you to invent something to solve Steve's clamp storage problem. I believe the post was make in an honest attempt at humor. Since it is a remark about a specific individual, you, I thought I'd get your take on whether it funny or whether it could be taken as offensive.

If you are at all uncomfortable with this, I will delete it. At this point it is in "moderation", meaning the membership can not see it.

Here's the quote from the note:

I think we are all missing the "obvious" solution to Steve's situation. :icon_scra

We simply go to our resident guru of design/build, tinkerer of some renown, deep thinker and expert on Dust Collection and all things "shopwise," Alan in Little Washington, and have him design and build a prototype of the following.

Mobile workbench, tablesaw, drillpress, jointer, planer, sander, miter saw, band saw, router table, mortiser, and clamp storage rack. Shouldn't take him over a week at most. And I can't wait to see the article that comes out of this in Popular Science/Popular Mechanics/FWW/WOOD/ General Psychology magazines!!
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Please let me know what you think.

Ray

Thanks for asking Ray. I haven't been to the forum yet today.

The post in moderation appears closer to good-natured ribbing, something Bas or Jeff might post, rather than a personal attack on me, but I would need to know the author to be able to decide.

It seems that some North Carolina Woodworker members take exception to my attempts to help fellow NCWWers by providing "my" experiences and knowledge (especially in dust control) which I have gained over many years, "my" new ideas regardless of possitive benefits, "my" attempts at saving fellow woodworkers time and money, "my" alternative approaches, "my" techniques and methods which are based on sound and researched engineering and physics, and "my" evaluation of and suggestions to correct errors or improve on projects of others. For that reason I won't be including a pic and reminding folks/telling new folks that I had clamp dilemma like Steve, or that I made a simple, easy to build MDF clamp cart that is less expensive, more durable, small, rolls easily, but holds many more clamps than the one from Rockler.

I am secure it what I know and what I do. "I" am the one who has the award winning shop filled with features to make woodworking safer and more enjoyable, who has had numerous Shop tips published in national magazines, and who has a patent pending WW invention under license and which should be on the market later this year.

What is sad is that the last example (quoted below) which violated numerous forum policies, was posted by a moderator !! It was subsequently deleted by another moderator at my request. I was extremely disappointed that Doug did not revoke his moderator status like I suggested. In fact, I received no reply or even acknowledgment to a PM from Doug nor apology from Glenn!
---Quote (Originally by Glennbear)---
Is there a purpose to these lengthy overly technical posts other than stealth advertising to boost sales of your future undisclosed dust collection system ? One cannot read any thread concerning dust collection without reading one of your diatribes about *YOUR *methods and *YOUR *inventions. If you have what you perceive to be a good dust collection method post it in the "How to" forum so that those who *CHOOSE *to do so can read it without getting hammered by your bombastic rantings every time one reads a thread concerning dust collection. A simple link to your posting in the how to forum will suffice instead of this constant self promotion of your methodology.
---End Quote---

If you have made it this far, past my latest diatribe, just go ahead and post it.

I don't think this is the kind of behavior Steve wished for this site.

Thanks.

Alan Schaffter

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
My, my....... More "I"s & "my"s than a house fly. If I was a drinking man I'd make that post a game & take a shot every time I read the word, "I" or "my".

I'd be under the table before I finished.:rotflm:

Hope that man keeps some Purell in his shop so's I can kiss his ring when I visit.
NOT!

Last edited:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Gee........... More "Is" than a house fly. If I was a drinking man I'd make that post a game & take a shot every time I read the word, "I".

I'd be under the table before I finished.:rotflm:

If you add in the "my" count to the "I" count... well, nobody can drink THAT much...:gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
Just got a note back from Alan that ended with "... go ahead and post it..." I will un-moderate (not sure there is such a word) the post and let it be.

Here is my note to Alan and his reply (guess I can't say I didn't ask for it...)

Originally Posted by Ray Martin
Alan,

I was reading through some of the posts a little while ago. I came across a joke posted to Steve Cole's thread about definition of insanity. Someone posted a remark about asking you to invent something to solve Steve's clamp storage problem. I believe the post was make in an honest attempt at humor. Since it is a remark about a specific individual, you, I thought I'd get your take on whether it funny or whether it could be taken as offensive.

If you are at all uncomfortable with this, I will delete it. At this point it is in "moderation", meaning the membership can not see it.

Here's the quote from the note:

I think we are all missing the "obvious" solution to Steve's situation. :icon_scra

We simply go to our resident guru of design/build, tinkerer of some renown, deep thinker and expert on Dust Collection and all things "shopwise," Alan in Little Washington, and have him design and build a prototype of the following.

Mobile workbench, tablesaw, drillpress, jointer, planer, sander, miter saw, band saw, router table, mortiser, and clamp storage rack. Shouldn't take him over a week at most. And I can't wait to see the article that comes out of this in Popular Science/Popular Mechanics/FWW/WOOD/ General Psychology magazines!!
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Please let me know what you think.

Ray

Thanks for asking Ray. I haven't been to the forum yet today.

The post in moderation appears closer to good-natured ribbing, something Bas or Jeff might post, rather than a personal attack on me, but I would need to know the author to be able to decide.

It seems that some North Carolina Woodworker members take exception to my attempts to help fellow NCWWers by providing "my" experiences and knowledge (especially in dust control) which I have gained over many years, "my" new ideas regardless of possitive benefits, "my" attempts at saving fellow woodworkers time and money, "my" alternative approaches, "my" techniques and methods which are based on sound and researched engineering and physics, and "my" evaluation of and suggestions to correct errors or improve on projects of others. For that reason I won't be including a pic and reminding folks/telling new folks that I had clamp dilemma like Steve, or that I made a simple, easy to build MDF clamp cart that is less expensive, more durable, small, rolls easily, but holds many more clamps than the one from Rockler.

I am secure it what I know and what I do. "I" am the one who has the award winning shop filled with features to make woodworking safer and more enjoyable, who has had numerous Shop tips published in national magazines, and who has a patent pending WW invention under license and which should be on the market later this year.

What is sad is that the last example (quoted below) which violated numerous forum policies, was posted by a moderator !! It was subsequently deleted by another moderator at my request. I was extremely disappointed that Doug did not revoke his moderator status like I suggested. In fact, I received no reply or even acknowledgment to a PM from Doug nor apology from Glenn!
---Quote (Originally by Glennbear)---
Is there a purpose to these lengthy overly technical posts other than stealth advertising to boost sales of your future undisclosed dust collection system ? One cannot read any thread concerning dust collection without reading one of your diatribes about *YOUR *methods and *YOUR *inventions. If you have what you perceive to be a good dust collection method post it in the "How to" forum so that those who *CHOOSE *to do so can read it without getting hammered by your bombastic rantings every time one reads a thread concerning dust collection. A simple link to your posting in the how to forum will suffice instead of this constant self promotion of your methodology.
---End Quote---

If you have made it this far, past my latest diatribe, just go ahead and post it.

Thanks.

Alan Schaffter

Since obviously I am the subject of this, Alan's latest rant, I give my response Ray : Who cares ? :rotflm:

M

McRabbet

I'm just glad you can smile, Glenn -- Alan should look in the mirror and then repeat his closing line:

Glennbear

Glenn
I'm just glad you can smile, Glenn -- Alan should look in the mirror and then repeat his closing line:

Thanks Rob, am I correct in assuming that Alan wanted us to feel bad that he was not going to be touting "his" version of a clamp rack ? :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors