Shortening the height of the barstool

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodywoodpecker

New User
Wood Woodpecker
I have a fancy wood/metal barstool that does not fit too well in the kitchen island in our new home. The legs of the barstool are made up of metal probably hollow steel. I need to shorten the legs of the stool by about 3 inches. What can I use to get this accomplished? Is there any reasonable miter saw (blade) that can cut thru metal. I know this is a newbie question but I am clueless.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
roto-zip with the metal cutting blade. or any saw with a metal cutting blade or disk.:icon_thum

timf67

New User
Tim
You can get a metal cutting blade for a miter saw, but you may be better off using a good hacksaw. The issues I see you having are: 1) cutting all 4 to the same length so that the chair is stable, and 2) How to "finish" the bottoms of the newly cut legs so that you don't tear up your floor (or hands or feet!)

Umich684

New User
Jake
The feet are so visible against the floor, can you remove the wood seat and shorten the top of the legs instead?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I wonder if a pipe cutter would work. I guess it depends on how tough the steel is. It would certainly leave clean edges.

DaveD

New User
Dave
A good saber saw (Bosch) and a good fine toothed metal cutting blade for it. If the legs aren't perpendicular to the floor use a block of wood the right height to guide your marker around each leg. Tape up the legs so the base of the saw doesn't scratch/nick them up.

The challenge is to mark them correctly and either cut accurately or grind to the finished line after you 'hack' them off.

If you try it with a sawzall I'd clamp a piece of wood to the leg so the saw can't 'walk' up the leg and nick it all up. For me the sawzall is more of a hack it off tool while the saber saw provides a little more finesse.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I would use my angle grinder. Shouldn't take long at all to cut all the legs to length. Though I liked the pipe cutter idea too, provided the steel isn't too heavy gauge.

You can use a compass with pencil lead to mark cut lines parallel from the floor, then wrap masking tape around the lines for visibility. When done, you can use the grinder to touch up each leg until all rest squarely on the floor.

The real work will be in polishing the finished result smooth enough that you don't tear up the floor (if left bare) or cut through rubber/plastic endcaps (in time).

jhreed

New User
james
Use wooden dowels in the bottom of the legs, this way the length you cut the steel is not critical, you just sand the wooden dowels until the chair does not rock.
James

Trog777

New User
Trog
cut-off-tool.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS