Shopvac muffler experience?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Anyone used one of these on their shopvac? Wondering the effectiveness and impact on the airflow? Thanks!

shop vac muffler.jpg
shop vac muffler2.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
No, but the overall DB probably will not go down with that. The Frequency(Pitch) will. Build a Box lined with Rubtex or other foam and that will lower the sound level quite a bit.
If you make the panels modular and separate, then the box parts could be reconfigured to quiet the compressor or generator as well.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have used these on my Ridgid Shop Vacuums. They do make some difference in the sound, it seems quieter but that is probably due to the lower pitch as Casey stated.

I did not notice any difference in airflow or suction performance.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My solution was to buy a Fein vac. One of the best decisions I ever made. You can talk over it!

A much larger absorption muffler, several feet, would take some sound off the exhaust. The motors themselves make a racket. If DIY, you could get some 4 inch PVS, some 2 inch PVC and some rock wool and make one. Think Cherry Bombs ot good ole Thrush mufflers.

By definition a muffler will reduce flow. Laws of physics say so. How much is the question. That little bit of foam, not much, but it's effective ness is not much either.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Bosch VAC090AH 9 gal dust extractor it has a decibel rating of 71 dB; not the best but not the worse. It does come with a HEPA filter auto-cleaning feature which you can turn off (if you want to).

What I like about it - is that if you use the bags with this unit you can open the container it will appear just as clean as the day I bought it. I have been using it for 5 years now and gone through half dozen bags and it still is just as clean.

Noise is something you can easily control - it is the fine dust that will kill you and this vacuum nips that in the bud.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors