Shopmade Cam Clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
A quickie sketch. I was cleaning in my shop and came across a plan for these cam clamps. I decided to make a quick SketchUp model and then recycle the paper plan. I made extensive use of the Trim and Keep plugin to cut most of the holes which made drawing this very fast.

It's all correctly dimensioned so it would be easy to pick out the info needed to make them in the shop. If there's interest, I'd share the SketchUp 2014 file with registered members.

I wonder if SKP could be added to the list of file formats for attachments.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Nice renditions, Dave. I'd be interested in getting a copy of the .skp file and I'm unaware of the Trim and Keep plugin -- I also agree that adding SKP to the allowable file formats for attachments.

Rob

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Rob, send me your e-mail via a PM and I'll send the file when I get home from work.

As for Trim and Keep, it's a modification of the Trim tool from the Solid Tools set. Since it relies on the Trim tool, it only works in the Pro version. That said, it is an amazingly useful plugin for drawing detailed models. Imagine instantly cutting mortises to fit tenons without any layout. Or instant tails from the pins or pins from the tails depending on which side of the fence you're on for making dovetails.

I did a blog post a little while back demonstrating mortises in turned legs.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Dave, I think you can already add a SketchUp file to the library. Go to the 'Downloads' tab in the brown bar across the top of this page. Select 'Add File' and go from there. KenofCary added a skp file I made of the handicap lathe stand, so apparently it can be done.

I'd like to have the drawing of those clamps. I need a few like that.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Bill, I remember that Ken did that, now that you mention it. I was looking at the list of file types in the Manage Attachments thing below the text window and didn't see skp as an allowed file type. Good to know, though.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Bill, I wouldn't call it a "plan". It's just the SketchUp model but it is accurately drawn so you could use it to create your own plan. You can modify the dimensions as desired, too. This might be the link.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Bill, I remember that Ken did that, now that you mention it. I was looking at the list of file types in the Manage Attachments thing below the text window and didn't see skp as an allowed file type. Good to know, though.

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

In the past you have been able to upload SketchUp ".skp" files to our Downloads Library without any issue. I have also gone ahead and added support for the ".skp" format to the Attachments Manager allowed list, which means you can now insert such files directly into your posts if you wish. You can access the Attachment Manager console from the paper clip icon (right-hand side of top row) available from within the Advanced Editor window (just click the "Go Advanced" button to switch to the Advanced Editor). It will appear as a pop up window where you can upload selected files to your portfolio, then select which files you wish to embed in your post. Photos will be displayed inline while other formats will display with a download link at the bottom of your post.

The only area the files are not supported in is the Photos Gallery area since they can not be displayed natively as with a photo or video.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thank you Ethan. That would perhaps make it easier in case someone wanted to post a SketchUp file for assistance or something.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hi Stuart,

Thank you. There isn't a plan per se or at least I didn't make one. I just made a SketchUp model which I added in the Downloads section and linked to above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors