Shop Vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Anyone have experience with Shop Vac brand? Have Old Ridgid shop vac, even lous with hearing protection on, top of line way too expensive, looking for something less noisy.
Thanks

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
My 12 gal shop-vac is relatively quiet. My 10 gal shop-vac is a bit noiser. I have a 10 gal Genie that just screams at you the whole time it's on.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 16-gallon shop vac that roars around 104 db - way too loud - so I always use hearing protection no matter what the job.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Ridgid does specifically make a version of their ShopVac that is much quieter than others. I stumbled onto it while researching my Dust Deputy build. I believe it was a 16-gallon sized one. I was looking for a big motor on a small tank so I didn’t try personally, but I did hear it running and it was quieter.

Another option is to build an insulated box with a baffling system. They don’t look all that complicated or expensive to make.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a 16 gallon Ridgid that I've had for several years, and I don't find it too loud. One change I did make to it was to buy an after market filter for it, also at Home Depot. The filter works far better.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
With all this helpful info, I email Shop Vac, and Ridgid asking for Decibel ratings.....nothing yet from Ridgid, but Shop Vac tells me they do not have any decibel ratings on their products...sounds odd?

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Ridgid doesn’t have a consistent standard for how they list decibels. I was able to poke around and find info on several models but not all of them.

If the vac isn’t marketed as quiet, I pretty much assumed it was the normal loud.

I can’t remember, but it seems the expensive vacs like Festool and Fein were quiet and very high performance. I think there are some NCWWs using those.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
nothing yet from Ridgid, but Shop Vac tells me they do not have any decibel ratings on their products...sounds odd?

They probably don't record the decibel levels because it's a standard old shop vac and they're not marketing them as the "the best new and quieter" shop vac.

I have a 16 gal contractor "Shop Vac" and it's probably no worse than most others for decibels.

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Ridgid doesn’t have a consistent standard for how they list decibels. I was able to poke around and find info on several models but not all of them.

If the vac isn’t marketed as quiet, I pretty much assumed it was the normal loud.

I can’t remember, but it seems the expensive vacs like Festool and Fein were quiet and very high performance. I think there are some NCWWs using those.

I had a ShopVac and a Rigid, both were about the same noise level. I stick with Rigid now because of lifetime warranty. Had a black friday special, bought for $39 that motor died. They shipped me a brand new full unit in box that retails for $100 since that was what was comparable to my dead Black Friday unit.

I run two Fein vacs for vacuum system on my CNC machine. They are loud but probably not as loud as my Rigid. Give me a few and I'll run down and test the decibels on each of them. But the cost difference between a Fein / Festool is significantly higher than a Rigid / Shopvac. No matter what you use, you need to use hearing protection. All of them run in the unsafe sound level.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
It looks like the Ridgid WD1450 may be the current version of their quiet vacs. I didn’t dig too deep to find out if there are other models. The one I tried last year was noticeably quieter.

As to to listing the decibels, I was able to locate the numbers for some of their line so I could do an “apples to apples” comparison. The quieter model was larger than I wanted or I definitely would have chosen that model.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Tested:

Rigid - 86 decibels
Fein - 76 decibels
Jet Dust Collector - 84 decibels

not scientific, but good rough idea.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
There’s a YouTube that shows the Ridgid WD1450 at 77 dB. I’m no acoustic expert, but 77 dB is much quieter than the typical shop vac at upper 80s or higher.

Cost is much lower than Festool or Fein.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The 16 gallon one is definitely loud. I replaced it with the 14 gallon one (WD1450). Noise level is quite acceptable, not as good as a Festool or Fein, but not so loud you have to wear hearing protection.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The quieter model was larger than I wanted or I definitely would have chosen that model.

This is a timely thread for me. I also liked the big Ridgid but where I wanted to keep it, it would take up the space normally attributed to a large office desk chair. I've been using a 5-gal. tin can type that's about 20 or so years old. I want more suction than this single stage motor unit afforded. I've got a couple of Shop Vac double stage motor units on the shelf. I think I'm going to explore that possibility. My regular shop vac is a 10 Gal. 2 stage stainless unit from the 1980s. I replace switches, bearings, and brushes from time to time so this has been an excellent shop vacuum to have. The 1986 Grainger catalog listed it at $188.00 so it isn't a lightweight home shop vacuum. If I could find something equal, I'd probably buy it. So far all I've found were way too large.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
A lot of the vacumn manufacturers make a "Quiet Version". I have a small version (2 gal I think) I use at pocket hole table and its not too bad.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Again many thanks to all, great Info, I am pbly going to go with the Ridgid WD1450, its more affordable than the high priced F & F brands, and as some suggest much quieter than the 20 yr old Ridgid I have now.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Got the WD1450, and cannot make a comparison to the high priced F & F brands, but Much Quieter than the Old Rigid I have....can actually use without ear protection and hear spoken word. Thanks to all.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Pete, thanks for the follow up. Maybe I should take another look at the WD1450. The small Ridgid vacuum I bought last year is powerful enough, but nearly as noisy a the standard 16-gallon versions.

Maybe a better compromise is to deal with the larger size if I can beat some of the noise. FWIW, the actual Ridgid web site lists a quiet HEPA version that looks like it’s derived from the WD1450.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I've owned 2 Shop Vac brand and they burned up as soon as the warranty ran out. I'll never own a 3rd. Last time I bought a Ridgid but haven't used it yet.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
The WD1450 came with a HEPA filter, and dont have Decibels, but I can run it doing some Bandsaw, scrollsaw stuff without the Earmuffs on. The old ridgid, 15+ years old, even was loud with earmuffs on....so......I am pleased with purchase, not an F brand but good.

On the shopvac subject, does it pay to have a Cyclone type 'seperator' ? Saw a couple of deputy type knockoffs, rather inexpensive, they attach to a 'homer tyoe bucket' ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors