Shop Layout Help

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Hi all, planning on major shop layout redesign and wanted to get the community input. Standard 2 car garage but I only really get one side. The red box is a door, the blue/purple is my Shapeoko CNC and the gray would be table saw and assembly. I have CFlux2 on the way and will run dedicated piping. All power tools are mobile and will need to be rolled out for use except the jointer in this layout, it would be mobile but should not have to move much. One of my top priorities and is the dedicated dc piping to stop have to drag a hose all over the place.
I have almost 11 ft ceilings, but have over head storage already in place.

Shop Layout v4.PNG

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jason, I commend your thoughts on getting community input, over the years I have found the folks in this community have had some valuable suggestions. Since I don't know how strict your boundaries are going to be with regard to intrusion on the other half of the garage, I may consider rotating the tablesaw 90 degrees. If you rip any long stock I can foresee you running short of space with the wall/cabinets. With the dust collector and planner on casters they can easily be rolled out of the way.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Jason, I commend your thoughts on getting community input, over the years I have found the folks in this community have had some valuable suggestions. Since I don't know how strict your boundaries are going to be with regard to intrusion on the other half of the garage, I may consider rotating the tablesaw 90 degrees. If you rip any long stock I can foresee you running short of space with the wall/cabinets. With the dust collector and planner on casters they can easily be rolled out of the way.

Thanks, I currently have my table saw set up just as you recommended and the miter station in similar spot as in the layout. I make a lot of miter cuts so I was hoping by having the assemble table right behind me it would be more efficient. The new layout also appears to allow me to have the jointer set up ready to go at all times. Currently, the jointer has to rolled away to use the table saw to full capacity, by have it go along the side I may only occasionally have to roll it out of the way.

I'm trying to be strict on the boundaries, with the laid out dimensions, my kids of plenty of space for their toys and play area plus I can still fit a car on that side if needed. Its the same boundaries my current layout is using.

As laid out, I would have over 9.5 ft of outfeed space from the back of the table saw to the cabinets, plenty in my mind.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks, I currently have my table saw set up just as you recommended and the miter station in similar spot as in the layout. I make a lot of miter cuts so I was hoping by having the assemble table right behind me it would be more efficient. The new layout also appears to allow me to have the jointer set up ready to go at all times. Currently, the jointer has to rolled away to use the table saw to full capacity, by have it go along the side I may only occasionally have to roll it out of the way.

I'm trying to be strict on the boundaries, with the laid out dimensions, my kids of plenty of space for their toys and play area plus I can still fit a car on that side if needed. Its the same boundaries my current layout is using.

As laid out, I would have over 9.5 ft of outfeed space from the back of the table saw to the cabinets, plenty in my mind.
9.5 feet of out feed is nice but what about in feed?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm trying to figure out which way your garage is oriented. Where are the front garage doors in your sketch? Is your red door going into he house?

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I'm trying to figure out which way your garage is oriented. Where are the front garage doors in your sketch? Is your red door going into he house?

Red door is side door into garage from driveway, our main door in and out, garage door is running the 14ft length near the side door. Door into house is top left, in the buffer zone out of play.

Both House panel and shop sub panel are next to side entry door, where the upper cabinet is missing from miter saw station

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like it provided your CNC is the same height or lower than your cross cut bench (so material being cut can go over it). I have had a long bench like this for cross cuts in my last two shops and really like that. In the current one, I built the cabinet below to be 30 inches high and I then cut blocks to raise the saws to 38 inches, my desired working height. I built a Paulk style double layer work surface to go on the left to raise the work surface to 38 inches.

You might want to make your miter saw portable. Make that portion roll in and out. Depends on whether you will need to cut moldings. They come in 16 and 17 foot lengths so normal amounts of space on the side are insufficient. I have a second CMS I set up for this but if you only have one and anticipate the need to do this sort of work, you might want to make it so you can roll your CMS out in the rare time you need to.

You probably need to juggle your infeed and outfeed space as you already know. I need more infeed than outfeed since that is where I am. But I don't cut full sheets on the table saw, I use a track saw. But I do narrow rips on the table saw and would want, if anything, more than 8 feet on that side. Being tight on the outfeed is better as long as you can get the workpiece safely past the blade.

Bill J

Bill
User
I've had to set up a couple of limited space shops and really recommend putting everything you can on wheels. That allows you to pivot the equipment for longer cuts and lets you move the equipment aside for assembly of large projects.. You can buy very reliable mobile bases but I also made my own for the jointer using workbench casters on a wood base. But do buy a high quality base or casters. It really does make a difference.
But it will mean using flexible ducting for dust collection. I use a rapid connect system but I only use one machine at a time.

build4fun

New User
Brian
Your layout looks good to me. Perhaps one suggestion is to make rows of French Cleats behind and above your tools. I think this is the best thing I did in my shop because it makes everything reconfigurable and when (not if) you change your mind about where to put something, it only takes seconds to move things around. I think putting as many things on locking casters is similarly valuable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS