Shop expansion - The process begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday, Tony Morrison, my son's new father-in-law, started the foundation for my shop expansion. I am adding a 36' by 48' building with 12' ceilings to my existing 36' by 48' shop. We had to haul in 7 tri-axle loads of dirt to raise the subgrade. Here it is loking back to the existing shop.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Holy Cow! That's gonna be one huge shop. What in the world are you building in there? Whatever it is, I look forward to the progress pics. I love watching the shop builds and everything that goes into them. :eusa_danc

Bill

M

McRabbet

I'm jealous -- you're expanding a shop that is already more than 2 times the size of mine to more that 4 1/2 times the size! Wow!

Ben325e

New User
Ben
My guess is he needs somewhere to store that new lathe and bandsaw from that awesome haul he got two months or so ago :)

I'm not sure if I like woodworking as much as I like Shop Build picture threads! I'm pretty sure I'd be happy to just have a warehouse full of awesome tools and go in there and sit on my shop stool and just look at them :D Sometimes I do that in my shop I have now. Congrats on the new space. Now if I only had 1/2 of it...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A new grand son and a shop expansion all the same week. Steve you are on a roll. Congrats.

When is the NCWW work day?

There is some urgency to get it dryed in. Carpenters work better if their hands aren't numb from the cold. I will build the doors but not much else until after Christmas. Stephen and I will wire, insulate and install the plywood interior walls this winter. Until then it will be storage for all the big tools. I'm only keeping the lathes and one bandsaw in the old part of the shop. Can't wait for the slab next week, weather permitting. Framing the following week. Hope it will be dryed in by Thanksgiving.

Steve

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Steve, that's great! I'm looking forward to seeing the pix of your construction progress. This is the best time of year to pour a slab too - the slow curing in the fall/early winter helps to minimize cracking and improve strength.

The walls are done. There will be 2 doors, one 8' wide and one 12' wide. Both will have turn down slabs. The big one will be at truck bed height, the small one with a ramp to drive in.

May have to convert the shop expansion to a pool. Block walls needed to cure for 3-4 days before the concrete is poured. We've had at least 2" of rain today and it's still coming down. Darn it.:gar-Cr

The slab is being poured tomorrow. I'm in Chicago at the One of a Kind Show. Day 1 was a success. I sold 3 cutting boards and 20 bowls. Tomorrow is a longer day, 11 hours in the booth. Wish me luck.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve you really do not need luck. I have seen your works.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: I will wish you good luck, can't hurt, and safe travels.

The process has been slowed by the weather and the holidays. Since this pic was taken we have installed the windows and 25% of the ceiling.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=62241&ppuser=2076

tn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS