shop doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
here is the next pair of doors in process, this pair is for the shop entry. They are mahogany veneered over Spanish cedar stave cores, 8' tall x 2 1/4" thick

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_184533_662.jpg
    IMG_20180601_184533_662.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 245

karlkoch

New User
Karl
They looked even better in person yesterday. Thanks for hosting the woodturning club, Stuart!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
here is the next pair of doors in process, this pair is for the shop entry. They are mahogany veneered over Spanish cedar stave cores, 8' tall x 2 1/4" thick

attachment.php

I put these doors together with some yellow pine and beaded pine that HD was getting rid of in the 70 off pile. The glass was the most costly part of the build. They have held up well. I designed the pine tongue and groove panels to come out when the sun beat them to death. An easy "refill" if you will.

Shop_lights_and_last_touch_215.jpg

Best thing I ever did here was using the strap hinges with pins. Easy alignment in and out.

DSC07163.JPG

carriage_doors_locking_006.JPG

DSC07162.JPG

Door for upstairs. I make these from time to time and they get pretty heavy.

0285.JPG

more photos on the Workshop album/Gallery​

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
those look great, I love the hinges!

If that is something you might want to use, I think I can find the hardware store that I found on line that sells them. They turned out to be the cheapest and strongest option for the jobs I was doing.

They are the easiest hinges to mount heavy doors and the adjustment options make them a great choice. In the photo I don't show the crown molding I put on the top to prevent anyone from lifting the door when closed. The entire shop building was built with "reused" materials with the exception of the siding.

When you are retired, its funny how many things you find when you're not in a rush to get in and out of the stores and lumberyards.

Shop_lights_and_last_touch_210.jpg

Even the bead board around the return is from the reduced pile at HD.

DSC07164.JPG

I had so much at 70% redu ced, I trimmed out the building and filled the doors with it.
618.JPG

20_May_Siding_009.JPG

0182.JPG

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I would appreciate the resource - I like them!

Stuart
I bought the parts all separately and found it was cheaper than using many of the "custom strap" retailers. I wound up using an 8" threaded bolt pin and a 3 hole strap to match. I wanted one bolt carriage bolt thru the stile and 2 bolts in the rail. All of the rails are full tenon.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]https://www.hardwareworld.com/pc4437m/Bolt-Hook-Zinc-5-8-x-8[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]https://www.hardwareworld.com/p5gdu45/Screw-Hook-Strap-Hinge-Zinc-Plated-Steel-10

This is the hardware supplier out in Wash state I think it was. You can call and they will help you if you have questions. I strongly encourage you to use the nut threaded pin rods and not the lag bolt type. Its so easy to get these just right.

good luck
[/FONT]

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Stuart
I bought the parts all separately and found it was cheaper than using many of the "custom strap" retailers. I wound up using an 8" threaded bolt pin and a 3 hole strap to match. I wanted one bolt carriage bolt thru the stile and 2 bolts in the rail. All of the rails are full tenon.

https://www.hardwareworld.com/pc4437m/Bolt-Hook-Zinc-5-8-x-8
https://www.hardwareworld.com/p5gdu45/Screw-Hook-Strap-Hinge-Zinc-Plated-Steel-10

This is the hardware supplier out in Wash state I think it was. You can call and they will help you if you have questions. I strongly encourage you to use the nut threaded pin rods and not the lag bolt type. Its so easy to get these just right.

good luck

thanks, I will check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS