Shooting board

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I finally got around to making a shooting board. This is a shop accessory that's been on my list for some time. With no shortage of plans available I downloaded the ones from Lie-Nielsen, then combined some ideas from other sites. I ended up with a base that has a 1/4" high-density plastic slide. The base has pegs on which to place different fence tops, depending on the particular task. I made two for now, one for 45-degree and one for 90-degree angles. These are the particulars (dimensions are approximate):
  • Base is 12" x 22", made from 3/4" plywood and edge-trimmed in oak.
  • Plastic slide is 4" wide.
  • Interchangeable tops are 7-7/8" wide (leaves a 1/8" gap between slide and runner to clear shavings). These are made of 1/2" MDF, trimmed in oak. Fences are 1" thick cherry.
  • Pegs to hold the fence plates in place are from a 1/2" dowel rod. You can see some of these in the pictures.
  • Finished everything with two coats of Danish oil.
IMG_2420.JPG
1592689646852.png

I used spray adhesive to glue strips of #320 sand paper to the face of each fence. This gives them some "grip" to prevent the work piece from slipping when you're planing. I tried several bench planes I have to see which worked the best. Overall, I favor the Stanley #62 for the low angle, though a bit more weight would help for this sort of task.

It takes a bit of practice to use it properly, particularly in how you hold and push the plane. In my first few attempts I found myself canting the plane so that it tilted slightly to the left, leaving an upright angle that was not 90-degrees. It's also best to plane full slices (hard to do if you're taking too big of a bite). This is where a heavier plan would work better (I'm looking at you, Lie-Nielsen #51).

Here's a practice piece I did. No glue, just the two pieces placed together. The fit is spot on. I can see why they refer to shooting boards as precision tools. I'm thinking this accessory is going to spend a lot of time on my bench.

1592690412399.png

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job on a very helpful shop accessory. I use mine much more than I thought I would

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I need to replace the 90° fence on mine, and make a miter fence attachment.

Take a look at this article about making a version of Lie-Nielsen's Hot Dog handle. The author has a Veritas low angle jack, but it can be easily altered for your Stanley. I may make one for my #6 in the near future.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm continuing to enhance my shooting board. The design of having interchangeable tops is proving quite useful. These are a couple more tops I've made since the original post.

IMG_3941.JPG

This isn't a separate top, but another fixture that sets on the top with the right angle fence. It clamps in place and allows me to shoot a 45-degree across the end of a board.

IMG_4068.JPG

I made this top to hold a couple of thin pieces in place while you plane the adjoining edges. In this case I'm shooting two pieces of veneer that will be abutted. Once glued the seam is invisible.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
The shooting board design/build seems like a great build "article" for our Resource forum. Please consider.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim I really like the multifunctional capibility; did you design this or build it from a plan?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim (@creasman )
Curious how you make and keep the fences square and or accurate.
The 45 makes sense, because as long as the two fences stay at 90 degrees, but boards will mate. But with the 90 degree fence, how did you make it square and how do you intend to keep it square to the cutting face? (i.e. is it adjustable or do you plan to simply remake it if you find it out of square)

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Hmerkle Hank, I'm not sure I fully understand your question. The 90 degree board is fixed. The block is set at 90 degrees and doesn't move. As far as making it square I positioned it carefully, glued and clamped. I can't recall if I had to fine tune it with a plane afterwards, but that is an option if it's slightly off.

The edge of the top forms the cutting face. These tops are pretty easy to make. They are 1/2" MDF trimmed in oak. I use the first one I made as a pattern for drilling the placement holes in the new one.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Jim, great post! I have been wanting to build one for a while now. I appreciate the inspiration.
@Matt thanks for posting a link to Derek’s hotdog tutorial. Looks pretty easy to make.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Hmerkle Hank, I'm not sure I fully understand your question. The 90 degree board is fixed. The block is set at 90 degrees and doesn't move. As far as making it square I positioned it carefully, glued and clamped. I can't recall if I had to fine tune it with a plane afterwards, but that is an option if it's slightly off.

The edge of the top forms the cutting face. These tops are pretty easy to make. They are 1/2" MDF trimmed in oak. I use the first one I made as a pattern for drilling the placement holes in the new one.
Sorry,
I meant after use, what do you do if you find the fence out of square.

But your answer is to fine tune it with a plane if you see it is not square.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS