Shiplap in the shop

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
No sheet rock... ceiling will be the same as the walls. I asked the insulation guy when he installed and he said no barrier on walls or ceiling.

I suggest sheet rock for the ceiling. Also receptacles. Should the ceiling have a vapor barrier?

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
No sheet rock... ceiling will be the same as the walls. I asked the insulation guy when he installed and he said no barrier on walls or ceiling.
It looks like your walls have a kraft a paper vapor barrier. That is OK if those are exterior walls. If your room above your workshop is heated then probably not needed there. If not I would install a vapor barrier to the heated room side to prevent moisture build up in the insulation.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
He said in this area it was unnecessary due to the heat and humidity we have. If I recall correctly he said it was necessary in colder areas but not recommended here.

I guess I could slap up some kraft paper as a retarder...

joec

joe
User
I did my shop with cypress boards, random width of mostly 1x10 and 1x12. To make changes in electrical wiring that I knew would come, I butted them side by side with a round over and face screwed them with finish head black screws. It looks good and easy to access behind the various boards for changes.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
He said in this area it was unnecessary due to the heat and humidity we have. If I recall correctly he said it was necessary in colder areas but not recommended here.

I guess I could slap up some kraft paper as a retarder...
I recommend a vapor seal placed on the inside of the heated/cooled area. Ask another insulation contractor what they recommend.

ShortRound84

ShortRound
User
Looks awesome! Any plans for finish? Maybe some water based poly to keep them looking bright? How’d the cost come in compared to OSB?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Absolutely fabulous the way it came out. But working overhead, wow. Respect.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS