Shellix cutter heads for many different machines

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
When watching a recent video from Stumpy Nubs, there was a reference for replacement jointer and planer knives. Upon looking further, they offer shellix heads for over 600 different models of jointers and planers. I have an older Delta 6" 37-190, and they offer a head for that one. Granted, it is over $300 and replacement knives are $35, so I would have to go through 8 sets of knives to take the place of that Shellix cutterhead, but I would only have to align once instead of 8 times.

https://mywoodcutters.com/SHELIX-heads/SHELIX-heads_for_Jointers

You don't have to have the DeWalt 735 to go to Shellix, scroll through and see what works for you.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I saw this and am thinking about a set for my older 15" planer. I have a spare set of knives, but also know how much I like the shelliz type cutters on my Grizzly jointer. Tempting.

gmakra

New User
George
Depends on your use.

In the old days it was common to order a planer or jointer with a knife grinder so you could sharpen blades at will without removing the knives. Nowadays its a hassle to set up knives. Quality is poor and alignment is
difficult and its amazing to see a piece of hardened steel act like a piece of wet spaghetti when clamping them down.

I did it on a Delta 12 X 6 thickness planer and I have run thousands of feet of old barn wood through the planer and the original inserts are still in as they came on the head.
It cuts well and its no must or fuss,

Byrd is currently making a cutter head for a 12 inch Berlin jointer I bought.

I don't buy Stumpy Nubbs comment that they require more horsepower or that they are quieter, it a different sound.
On my planer I can easily take a 3/8 inch deep cut on wide hardwood all day long.

If you are a veteran Byrd will give you a 10% discount.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've thought about doing my delta jointer, and while $300 is a bit of money, after doing my dewalt planer, and looking at the finish, I'd want to do it to any machine I would buy, and I can't afford a new machine. Putting the head on a machine like that is about like making it a new machine, and what's to wear out on a jointer? I am leaning heavily toward doing the upgrade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS