shellac over lacquer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMJ

New User
Donald
Hey guys I have a problem!
i usually use shellac when I finish my cedar boxes, but this time I came up with the bright idea of useing laquer and don't like the finish. SO the question is can I spray shellac over the laquer or do I need to sand it all off before I spray.

Thanks
Donald

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: shellac ove laquer

From what I understand, you can use shellac over almost anything, lacquer included.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I would agree with Travis. I have never done it, I generally put my shellac under my lacquer :-D, but I have used shellac over many other types of finishes and never had any issues. Shellac is generally considered to be a universal sealer, and is often used between layers of non-compatible finishes.
Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member

Shellac over lacquer should be fine. The shellac is thinned with alcohol and the lacquer with lacquer thinner (usually a combo including acetone, MEK or MIK, etc), The alcohol should not dissolve the lacquer. Even if it does, both are evaporative coatings (meaning the solvents making them fluid evaporate and they both go back into solution if you put solvent back on them). If the lacquer is glossy, you may want to break the gloss with a scotchbrite pad or fine sandpaper first to give the shellac a surface profile to grab on to.

Go

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

used to know a proverb,,,, let's see if it's right:

shellac after liquor,
never sicker...???

DMJ

New User
Donald