Shellac Flakes

I have Started to mix my own Shellac and want some expert advice with some folks that have more experience.
Which brand is best for mixing and where to purchase.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
There is not much to it. I would suggest starting with mixing small amounts and play around with it so you are familiar with how when mixing it all reacts and what exact changes from the base ratios work best for you. Look online to get some background, then maybe call the Shellacfinishes guy creasman mentioned. That way, you will have some good info in your head to better communicate.

Some like using Alcohol combos as they dissolve the flakes faster. Behkol is one brand that comes to mind there are others I would guess. I remember helping my mom making shellac, but for here is was used to seal art paintings, so pretty sure that mix design probably will not be advisable for wood.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would also suggest using a coffee grinder to grind your flakes to a powder. It will dissolve to a solution faster and cleaner. After that mixing is about keeping the solution agitated so everything will dissolve,

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to Shellacfinishes.com Vijay Velijay is the owner and he's always been very helpful-email or call him. Also excellent videos and other information on their website.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with the coffee grinder. I have used one similar to this for 15 years or more. Of course mine cost about $9 back then.
Mine came from the kitchen, it’s old but still running strong. I then bought a new one for the kitchen, it grinds herbs only and I’ve been told to keep my grubby hands off the kitchen stuff. I then liberated a measuring cup for alcohol. She never noticed. :cool:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS