Shelix for lunchbox planers . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks Alan, that certainly is food for thought. I found it interesting that the article also said Steel City is coming out with a granite table planer :swoon:I guess stone is the material of the future :gar-La; Kinda brings new meaning to the term "neanderthal woodworking" :rotflm:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I saw the blurb in pop woodworking and sent Tom Byrd and e-mail regarding the retro fit for the DeWalt 735 planer. Still waiting to hear back.

Dan C.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
It'll be interesting to see how those do on the market. (That's a lotta cash for the Byrd upgrade head.)

If one upgraded the 735 then they would have 950 dollars invested in a 13 inch lunchbox planer??? :eusa_thin

Chuck

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Here's the reply I received from Byrd Tool;

"SHELXI" IS $439.00 W/TIPS -- ABOUT 2 - 3 WEEKS DELIVERY. THREE IS AN INTRODUCTORY DISCOUNT OF $100 OFF, HOWEVER, IF YOU ORDER BY 9/30/08.
SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS & I WILL MAIL YOU A CATALOG. THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN OUR TOOLING.
BECKY GRANT
BYRD TOOL CORP
8-22-08
1-800-441-2973

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I just saw this at the IWF show yesterday. They have a 735 setup with the Shelix and it cuts beautifully. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH quieter ... as you expect. I think this will sell like hotcakes if the installation isn't too bad.

Rob

New User
Rob
I don't know Jeremy, the cost is more then I paid for my DeWalt planer. They do sound nice though.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is a lot of change, but after using a shelix, I can say there is no comparison. Quieter and smoother than I would ever believe. It makes say a 735 a bit pricey, but if a 735 is what you plan on sticking with for a long time, it isn't a bad upgrade.

I guess I would compare the cost justification to getting a carbide tipped bandsaw blade.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I don't know Jeremy, the cost is more then I paid for my DeWalt planer. They do sound nice though.

It's not for everyone, but I agree with Travis in that if you plan to stick with the 735, and 13" is all you foresee needing, and you like to have conveniences like this ... I think the price is in the ballpark. Those Byrd heads are just pricey .... no doubts about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS