Shelf Life of Sanding Belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I had four Klingspor sanding belts (3'x18"), two 150 grit & two 220 grit, for about ten years. Today I finally got around to using them. After 30 seconds of sanding, each of the belts came apart at the belt seam. :eusa_doh:No injury occurred, unless you count bewilderment. :roll:

Note: this question (or answer)will not be found in Trivial Pursuit.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
10 years seems like a long time to trust the glue they used back then. Been in the shop gotten hot and cold several times will take the life out of any thing that bends as much as a belt.
dick

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
How were you storing them? I have read I believe you are not supposed to put them on a nail, but a dowel or leave them flat. To Dick's point, it is a long time. I have some I have had that long, and don't believe I have had trouble with them when I used them, but I can't say for sure.

M

McRabbet

I keep all of my sanding belts in a tight-lidded Rubbermaid tote box to keep them out of any humidity -- that's what causes the glue to fail. I've recently used some that were more than five years old that were stored this way. I also store my PSA and H&L sanding disks the same way.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I should know exactly since I worked at Klingspor last year but I don't remember the recommended shelf life. I do know that it is just a few months, not years. The abrasive has no shelf life so cut 'em up and use them on the lathe or to hand sand and buy some fresh ones.
Rob

T

toolferone

The other thing is to keep them at the same tempurture as you (no freezing and super hot). I agree that 10 years is a long time.

DavidF

New User
David
I had the same thing recently with some belts I brought over from England for my UK Belt sander, they were probably 8 years old and two of them broke almost as soon as I started to use them.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Interesting info! Just bought a PC Beltsander and took advantage of the quantity discount at Klingspor and bought a box each of about different grits. Figuring on having a lifetime supply. Better watch how I store these!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors