Shedua Hollow Form Illusion Box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Here is an attempt at combining things that I do with things that I don't do. I do not turn hollow forms and have no desire to. I will stick with boxes and bowls and such as that.

In this box I tried to create the illusion of a hollow form with an integrated collar. I created a recess in the top of the lid inside the collar which I ebonized to further the illusion.

This box is turned from Shedua, also known as African Walnut, is 3 7/8" tall and 3 5/8" in diameter. This wood sure does finish nicely.

Attachments

• SheduaHF3 (600 x 541).jpg
    SheduaHF3 (600 x 541).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 224
  • SheduaHFtop2 (600 x 540).jpg
    SheduaHFtop2 (600 x 540).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 218
  • SheduaHFopen (600 x 360).jpg
    SheduaHFopen (600 x 360).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 234

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That's a beautiful box you have created, Mike. You called it an Illusion, but it sure looks real to me! Great job.
Take care,

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Great job! I do some turning when I have to, but it is not my thing. You have every right to be proud, or, as Andy would say, "You did yourself proud!"
Jim in Mayberry

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I use an oil/varnish mixture in equal parts with 3 parts mineral spirits to thin it down. I apply a coat flooded on, rub off the excess, friction polish it with paper towels and white non-abrasive pads. Repeat until there are enough coats to satisfy me, usually 4 or 5. Thanks for the comments.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, that is an awesome looking box.:icon_thum The illusion of a hollow works very well and adds a lot to the box.

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
MIke, very nice box/thingy! I have to get to one of WC's or Klingspor's classes. Turners 'turn out' :)slap: ) some really nice things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS