Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
ok.. I have been turning pens every day for about month now, and wondering how often does everyone sharpen your tools? I know.. I know.. the answer is it depends. Well.. in fact, I'm not ashamed to say, I'm sorta afraid to sharpen my turning tools. To be honest, well.... I have no clue on how to do it. Can anyone give any pointers? jigs... techniques? Help.. please. I can't stop thinking about sharpening my stuff, and ruining it.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Clay, just send me your old ones and then buy yourself some new sharp ones, that way you won't have to worry about it.:lol:

I am not a wizard when it comes to sharpening but I am trying to learn more about it. What size turning tools do you have? I have a small set by Crown that are designed for smaller work like pen turning.

D L

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I have a pen set by Packard. Probally the same as your crown set for pens. And I have a 3/4 roughing. They're still pretty sharp, so if you can wait a few weeks for me to finish dulling them down, I'll send them on :rolf: :rolf:.

DL.. that sorta reminds me of the guy that didn't know he could buy new tires for his car.. he said.. "I've just been getting new cars"

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I use the "Scary Sharp" method that uses wet-or-dry autobody sandpaper. I have waterstones and other things, but this has proven to be fast and easy. When I'm turning, I usually keep a sheet of 2500 grit paper laying on the table saw near the lathe. I turn a lot of cocobolo and it dulls your chisels pretty fast. When I realize a chisel isn't cutting well, I go to the sandpaper on the tablesaw, whet it some, and go back to the lathe. It's pretty easy once you've gotten the chisel edges "trained".
My Best
Randy O

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Clay, there is no definitive answer about when you sharpen tools. I sharpen mine whenever I see the cut changing from long curlies to short scrapings. Of course each wood has its own cutting characteristics.

As far as sharpening tools and supplies, by now you are aware that woodturning is a bottomless pit where you pour money and the more you pour the worse it gets. Worse than any drug addiction known to man.

I recommend getting the Wolverine sharpening system, with the Vari-grind jig. It will allow you to sharpen all your turning tools with relative ease except the skew which requires the purchase of a specific attachment. This jig system makes it easy to sharpen your tools and works best with an 8" grinder. Lots of folks will tell you to get a slow speed grinder but I have used both a slow and a normal speed (1725 versus 3450) and I cannot really see the difference. I guess things happen faster on the high speed grinder but it is just a matter of getting use to it. You just don't apply much pressure and let the wheel cut the steel as you guide it with moderate pressure. I love my Wolverine system and I feel it has done more to improve my turning than anything except getting instruction from a good teacher.

Just my $.02. You will enjoy turning even more if that is possible with sharp tools.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS