Sharpening Spokeshaves

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I'm unsuccessful at sharpening two spokeshaves. The blades are so short they don't fit in any plane or chisel sharpening jigs, and I'm not getting a clean hollow ground on a grinder with a tool rest. When I do it gets wiped out on a whet stone because the blade is so short when I try to polish the edge by hand. All suggestions welcome.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You are welcome to come visit, I'll be happy to teach you to sharpen these blades by hand.

Or you could make a simple jig of wood with the proper angle on one end(25°) and a wood screw or three to hold the blade in place.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
You are welcome to come visit, I'll be happy to teach you to sharpen these blades by hand.

Or you could make a simple jig of wood with the proper angle on one end(25°) and a wood screw or three to hold the blade in place.

Hey Mike--Thanks for the offer. I'm west of Asheville, and Mapquest says it's over 3 hours one way to your shop. That's a little too much time. Let's see what comes out of the woodwork (sorry, I just couldn't help myself) on this thread.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
It is easy enough to setup a video demonstration using Zoom, WebEx, Skype, etc. Others might like to learn as well.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I made a jig like the one Mike described and it works. I think I saw a Paul Sellers video on how to make.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Paul sellers has several videos on spokeshave sharpening. One is a regular (i.e Stanley type) spokeshave by hand, one using a DIY jig, and one for wooden spokeshaves. These are all hand sharpening, not power tool. Which do you have?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Paul sellers has several videos on spokeshave sharpening. One is a regular (i.e Stanley type) spokeshave by hand, one using a DIY jig, and one for wooden spokeshaves. These are all hand sharpening, not power tool. Which do you have?
Here is the one I made

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wiley,
Here is a link to the Paul Sellers You Tube video for sharpening a spoke shave blade:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS