Sharpening lube

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Likewise. I posted my reply #12 above with the lubricant recommendations from DMT for their diamond stones---basically dry or using plain water. A few precautions also. It's worked for me for several years and I've never experimented with oil, WD40, or other lubricants.

They do get caked up and need to be cleaned frequently. That's why I started using WD-40 only as a cleaner. Then tried with WD-40 as a lube, and now experimenting with other oils diluted with turps. Medical grade turps doesn't bother me as much as other thinners. And I'm not talking about a heavy running coating of oil, just a light wiping.

Some other lubes seem to evaporate very quickly, I suppose they use alcohol as a thinner. I want something thin, not too oily, and slow to evaporate.

And Hank is right I have had the same routine for 15 years, recommended it to many members in workshops. Who says an old dog can't change his spots?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Medical grade turps doesn't bother me as much as other thinners.

Guess I need to explain that I had a reaction to Levaquin 14 years ago and have been very sensitive to most chemicals since then. I can't walk down the detergent aisle at the grocery store without losing my breath and nearly throwing up by the time I reach the other end. Mineral spirits makes my hands break out in a rash. Medical grade turpentine and mineral oil doesn't bother me nearly as much. Can't stand the baby oil though, too much perfume.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
"Medical grade turpentine and mineral oil doesn't bother me nearly as much."

I'm curious. What is medical grade turpentine and where do you get it? I've never heard of it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have DMT Dia-sharp and Duo-Sharp stones and I use them almost exclusively dry. If I do use a lubricant it is just water.
But, I use these more for honing than for sharpening. If a nick or chip has to be ground out or some other major work needs to be performed, that gets done on my Grizzly T10010 wet grinder.

When I get around to cleaning the 'stones', that's when I pull out the Simple Green and scrub with a nylon bristle brush.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I've been using diamond stones made by Schaaf (bought from Amazon) which appear to be the same monocrystalline electroplated stones as the more expensive brands. I've used plain water as a lubricant for the most part, but adding a small amount of dish soap when I'm doing more than a quick touch-up. I have some discoloration on the stones, but I haven't given them a good cleaning in a while, so I assume it's just swarf.

Lhloy

New User
Larry
I would not want to cover any living body, especially an infant, with MINERAL SPIRITS!

I am using Bora 'HoneRite Gold" as an additive for my water stones, but it too is an irritant-so no babies!
Oops! You're right... I meant mineral oil.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS