Sharpening Class Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
First, let me say a few words about my first 'Turning 101' class

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1670

Since that class I have been playing/practicing and have indeed found that there are more than one way to remove wood from a round cylindrical object. I have tried to use the techniques taught in the class and I think that I am impoving. But more and more (and more to the point) I can see where each instructor will have varying techniques from others.

On to the sharpening class. I enjoyed it and think that I really learned something. The actual use of a 'Wolverine' jig is not really so hard and would be easy enough to pick up on your own but what I did learn was theory. I learned the whys of which angle (or angle range) for which tool, I think that for me this was important because now when I forget specific instructions/details, I can at least reason out what kind of angle is needed for that tool/job. We also learned the types of flute shapes and their importance for various types of cuts, the hows of grinding the sides and then melding the sides into the tip smoothly, etc, etc. Even though we mainly used the 'Wolverine', we did learn some techniques for free hand sharpening which will be helpful for me as I do not have a decent grinder yet nor a jig set-up. All-in-all, a good productive class for me.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors