Sharpening A Handsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
I have 2 handsaws, a Disston and a Ridgid. I want to refile the Ridgid to rip and sharpen the Disston. This write-up makes it seem pretty straight forward, although I will have to make a wood jaw set for my bench vise and I need to find a source for the files. Is there anything else I need or need to do that is not in the write-up?

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That pretty much covers it. I have studied that several times and even now it reminds me of some things. But, there is nothing like having someone show you how to do it and seeing the little nuances of each step.

After taking Bill Anderson's class I have no problem taking on my worst saw and I also know when to pitch one and not waste my time on it.

What pitch are the two saws?

I have found files at my local hardware store, it is a small town old time hardware store and stocks a lot of things that the big box stores don't have. You can also go online and search for Nicholson slim taper files. You probably want a 6 inch for the crosscut and a 7 or 8 inch for the rip depending on the pitch of the teeth. The teeth should be about half the face of the file.

Do you have a saw jointer. The article says to joint of the saw is in bad shape, but jointing between each operation helps you to see where you are. If you don't have one you can make a wood file guild that will do.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like Amazon.com has the best price on files. Around $3.98 compared to $5.95 at some of the others.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Yep, what Mike says. That is a great article. If you can also get the book mentioned in there by Payson. He writes a lot for Wooden Boat.

I have found that an good positionable lamp (like a Luxo) and an Optivisor are good additions to my sharpening kit. Make sure that everything is at a comfortable height and go to town.

I am not familiar with the Ridgid brand of handsaw. I would just check to make sure it is not one of those wondersaws that is edge hardened out of a high Chrome steel. Something like the Stanley Sharksaws or some of the replaceable blade japanese style saws.

Great project for a rainy day.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Can't beat that guide.

For the video enthusiast, the gold standard is Handsaw Sharpening by Tom Law.

Thomas Lie-Nielsen has a great three parter on youtube.

[YOUTUBE]orPgaoF31ZQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]flJMdpkcn5s[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]wTbFTAQpkA0[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS