Shark Guard

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the SG and frankly disappointed in it. Mine is hooked to a Supercell so dust collection is not a question. Because the plastic guard comes down at an angle dust and debris comes out the sides. Any soft wood or plywood generates quite a bit of dust/debris. I have to clean up quite a bit after each use. I have other concerns but will keep this short. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this system and their experience - good or bad. I would not recommend.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I actually have the same system and love it. Note that overarm dust collection on a table saw - just by virtue of the cuts being made and the general physics of the cut, (the blade rotation is throwing dust away/ back, which is your DC is trying to overcome by collecting from the above), will likely never be perfect - in my opinion, it's a function of an overarm DC hood being "significantly better" than not using anything at all, and the Shark Guard is as good/ better than most others that I've seen/ tried there.

That said - how large is the dust port on your guard? The standard 2.5" (shop vac) port is a little weak, just by virtue of the air movement allowed through the smaller port. I have a 3" on mine, and find that to be the best compromise - I had a 4" port installed initially, but the suction coming out of it was actually too much - enough to lift small/ thin pieces off of the table, so I run the 3" now w/ good results. YMMV. Good luck!

Last edited:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I had one and really liked it but then switched over to the jessem clear cut stock guides. In my mind I think they help reduce the chance of kick back more and they interfere with each other for most of my cuts.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have the SG and frankly disappointed in it. Mine is hooked to a Supercell so dust collection is not a question. Because the plastic guard comes down at an angle dust and debris comes out the sides. Any soft wood or plywood generates quite a bit of dust/debris. I have to clean up quite a bit after each use. I have other concerns but will keep this short. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this system and their experience - good or bad. I would not recommend.
Unrelated question, but how do you like the SuperCell?

How's the noise?

I have 6" ducts. My understanding is it requires 4" ducts is this correct?

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I have a Shark Guard installed on my Unisaw, the version of Shark Guard I bought uses the Beismeyer splitter mount to attach the guard to the Shark Guard splitter, I am not sure if they manufacture this setup any longer. I like that that it is easy to install or remove the guard quite easily and still have a splitter installed in the saw. My guard has the standard 2.5 inch port, that I haven’t bother to use.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I don’t see how y’all can use them! I guess it’s me but a guard is in the way 90% of the time. I use an overarm retractable hood, only when cutting sheet goods.

A311AF9D-190F-4863-A1DF-42C1C8249A20.jpeg

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
The basic problem with the SG is the guard does not cover the blade. So dust and large particles hit the front and bounce out. I have a 2.5" & 4" hose hooked to table saw. That should be enough to draw dust. If others are happy, great. But I am not.

As for the supercell, it is noisy and it really puts out heat. Stand by it and at 2-3' I can feel it. But it does what it is designed to do well. Can't complain.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors