Shared Space ... cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This has come up in several conversations over the years ... sure would be nice to have one of these locally!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/off/1117868301.html
$1000 Benchspace in Equipped Woodshop (Sunset Park)

Reply to: hous-m9q8f-1117868301@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-11, 3:32PM EDT

Assembly bay in fully equipped woodshop. You get 24-hr. access to the 6,000 sq. ft. shop and use of 20+ pieces of industrial quality machinery, including central dust collection. Orientation is toward high-end custom furniture and woodwork. Large, modern, jointer, planer, and shaper, 10 ft. sliding-table saw, five sanding machines, veneer press, etc. 718-499-2954

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1117868301

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jeremy, just charge folks to come out to your shop :-D

I bet it's as well equipped as that one.

Badabing

New User
Joe
That's interesting. I grew up in Brooklyn, but back then Sunset Park wasn't the greatest neighborhood, not sure what it's like now though. Out of curiousity is that $1000 rent or a one time payment? :dontknow:

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I don't think it's very bad these days, just average. Actually, I believe Tools For Working Wood is in that neighborhood.

I grew up in Bensonhurst by the way.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Huh. I'm about to have 3200 SF of shop space at the end of the month, and I only need about 1/2 that. Maybe I'll buy some extra tools and start a Raleigh TechShop :)

Seriously though, that's gotts be a PITA to run. Wonder how they handle the cost of consumables like tooling, etc.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
This had been an idea batted around over beers for a couple years now, at least in my small circle of beer drinkers.

IanaL, either, but I'd think a mandatory skills test and an iron clad waiver with posted rules should cover the Liability worries.

gritz

New User
Robert
There was one in Atlanta about 15 years ago, but it never achieved critical mass and closed within 18 months.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
they tried something similar at the icehouse in davidson a few years ago. it didn't last very long.

i talked with a guy at the charlotte show that said he was wanting to open something similar here in town.

i don't see it as a viable business model.

most of what i've seen of this type of thing is where someone has an ongoing shop with no work and is looking for someone to subsidize their operation.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The liability has always been the concern for me -- but you can get around that I'm sure.

As for a "business", I think not. This would be more of a not-for-profit / community thing, where the money gathered is just enough to cover the expenses & maintenance.

The catch for me would it has to be right in back yard ... as I don't have time to run across town for 45 minutes in the shop (about all I get these days!)

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
The catch for me would it has to be right in back yard ... as I don't have time to run across town for 45 minutes in the shop (about all I get these days!)

i think that's what did the icehouse project in. i'd have signed up if it weren't so far off the beaten path.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Seems to me like this business model would only be successful in areas with extremely expensive real estate. In San Fran and NYC, most people can't afford the shop space, and would be more likely to participate. Since you can buy a house with a 2 car garage so cheaply in Raleigh (not to mention a yard with a shop), there's a much lower barrier to entry in obtaining your own shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS