Shamrock

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anyone heard from Michael recently?
I didn't go to his site and perhaps he is posting there?

I was just curious how things at North Bennet Street are going!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I was wondering the same thing recently, Hank. If I'm not mistaken, the NBSS program is two years, and it's been longer than that since Michael started. Sure would be nice to hear from him. Do you have his site? Can you post a link here?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well hello friends! You're right long time no update. So here goes, graduated both North Bennet and the New England School of Architectural Woodworking, and am now living just outside of Boston in a town called Dedham. My wife and I (after 14 years of home ownership in Charlotte, and the ridiculous housing prices here in the NE) didn't expect to purchase another home, but we found our perfect house, a 1930's brick bungalow .25 miles from the train into Boston for the wife and 12 minutes away from work for me. The best part however is a separate 2 car garage that I am slowly converting into my next woodworking shop! I've been wired for power, and am insulating now in preparation for a mini-split for temperature control in another 2 weeks. Still alot to do before I'm back to it at home though.
As for woodworking, I did an apprenticeship in Brooklyn for 1 year in between my 2 years at NBSS and am now working at a high end cabinet shop in here in town. I work in the "specials" dept. which means that although I'm not building furniture I am challenged everyday with interesting fabrication problems. It's actually great for me because I get to work as a woodworker everyday and still keep furniture making as a hobby once I'm back up and running at home.
I'll keep in touch a bit more now that I'm almost settled but here's 2 of my favorite pieces I've built over the past couple of years:

The 1st is a new dining room table I built for myself while in Brooklyn and features inlayed solid brass dots that is one of the coolest design elements I've done so far

The second is a tilt top chess table that got me into Fine Woodworking readers gallery a few months back!

I've got plenty more, I'll post a bit more often from here on out!

Later guys

Attachments

• IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 197
  • 20171214 Mike McKee, tilt-top table 2 (1) (Small).jpg
    20171214 Mike McKee, tilt-top table 2 (1) (Small).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 182

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations on those accomplishments. Glad to hear all is well and look forward to seeing your future posts!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great to hear from you, Michael, and congratulations on completing both those programs. Look forward to hearing from you more often and seeing some of your awesome projects.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Yep-phone is the same.
Also for those of you who where asking. website is www.shamrockwoodstudio.com just sort of a place holder for now, have not posted any new content in a few, most of my day to day stuff is on Instagram under shamrockwoodstudio

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update Michael and congrats on your graduation and continued work doing something you love! Please send some pictures of your shop when you can... but inquiring minds want to know - where are you going to "Paak your caar"? ha ha

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS