Shaker wall clock pics

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I just finished this Isaac Youngs 19th c. Shaker wall clock. I challenged myself to build this from rough-cut lumber without using any power tools, and it came out well I think! I certainly learned a lot about small-scale woodworking.

It's made out of khaya and has a Hermle mechanical movement. The dial is laser-printed paper on plywood. The black pieces were ebonized with winemaker's tannin and rusty vinegar water. The natural-colored parts got seven coats of garnet shellac, and the black parts got a few coats of beeswax/BLO mixture, for a contrast in sheen. I worked mostly off of Christian Becksvoort's plans.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_20190602_105433504.jpgIMG_20190602_105532424.jpgIMG_20190602_101038967.jpgIMG_20190602_100638130.jpg

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Really looks great. Like the makers mark and the different wood treatments giving totally opposite results. Will the face last as long as the cabinet?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's a real beauty. You should be proud!

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Thanks all! It took a long time (birth of daughter intervened 18 months ago haha) so I'm very happy to have it done. I appreciate the kind words.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GREAT work! and all unplugged! (You should be proud, VERY proud!)

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The black stain looks great. I used ash a few months ago with Tannin and the vinegar solution and it had a blue hue. I like the way this became a true black

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS