Set your VCR's New series, "ROUGH CUT" TODAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
The beginning of the new woodworking series "Rough Cut" begins today featuring Tom McLaughlin. It is being aired on ETV
(Cannel 16 0r 17 on Spectrum Cable and Channel 33 on Directv) at 5:00 pm. This should be a must see for any wood worker
of all skill levels.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I cannot find this on DirecTV. Even using the search feature returned no results for Rough Cut.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I hope the new is better than the old. We need a good woodworking with power tools show.

Red

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
It is new and is sponsored by Fine Woodworking. Tom McLoughlin was a episode contributor to Tommy Mac a few years back. I just watched the first episode ( a cherry sofa table-Shaker style).

His pace is good and he presents a professional yet casual approach. He demonstrates examples of each step but doesn't repeat for each of the other joints or like actions.

Tommy Mac is an accomplished woodworker (N.Bennett St School alum) but I didn't quite like his pace (too fast) and often fairly flippen. I did watch most of Tommy Mac's shows except the shop build and enjoyed them but I am looking forward to the new host and some more challenging projects.

Dan C.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
If you subscribe to FineWoodworking’s internet accesss, they have the broadcasts for viewing on their site.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I think Tom McLaughlin is doing a good job with the show. I think it could be longer but he hits the key parts. It's a bit like watching Sir Roy cranking through although Tom isn't doing it all in one take so he doesn't sound winded at the end. If you are a Fine Woodworking subscriber you can watch the show and download the plans for the project.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like I might need to renew my FWW subscription - let it lax when I had Satellite Internet and had data limits. Videos eat up bandwidth.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
You can view the new series on the internet for free. Use the Link to Finewoodworking.tv or Finewoodworking.com/roughcut (both go the the same place) and you will get to the Fine Woodworking Live site. Although this is Season 8 of the series, the new host is Tom McLaughlin and he does a great job. Plenty of good layout and hand tool work in the first episode featuring a Shaker-inspired Hall Table. Looks like some good episodes to come as well.

Like dancam, I am fortunate enough to get SC ETV and watched the end of this episode yesterday. My DVR is set to catch the next shows in the series. Hope this helps those that cannot get it on their local cable channels.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Guess I am showing my age referring to a VCR. I actually meant DVR. I watched the show and was pleased with both the pace and the content. Looking forward to future episodes

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dino and Rob,

Thanks for posting. Watched the first two episodes on my phone since C0mc@5t doesn’t currently offer the episodes.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Not only couldn't I find the show, I couldn't find my TV either, which makes me wonder if I had a TV; don't use the thing much anymore.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks like a good show to set the "hopper" to record. 5pm on Saturday is not a time I would typically be watching TV.

If (or when) I "cut the cord" I will get a device to record live TV. I have gotten used to watching things other than the time they are broadcast. Sometimes I just delay starting it 5-15 minutes so I can fast forward through the commercials. The hopper does this but only on certain shows and only when it's been on the drive for a day or so. Nice when it works, however.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. so I was indulging in a guilty pleasure of making fun of people on Facebook...

I came across a post by Stumpy Nubs and it looks like - you can view the videos on-line for free?

http://www.finewoodworking.com/rough-cut/episode/shaker-inspired-hall-table-801

EDIT: Just finished watching the premiere episode of Rough Cut and the new host Tom McLaughlin - he builds a Shaker-inspired hall table[FONT=merriweather, arial, sans-serif].
If this is the future for Rough cut - burn ALL the tape of Tommy Mac - this delivery is great, un-rushed and truly down-to-earth.

He shows lay-out, wood selection and refined wood selection after pieces are milled. "Let's look at the leg, we don't want the grain moving against the taper we will create" AWESOME

Also, I appreciate his hybrid approach where he mills some pieces, but takes the time to grab a chisel or plane for that "Hand-made" finish!!!
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS