Serving tray - Maple & Bubinga

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
A few weeks ago I stopped by The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville and picked up some hard maple and bubinga. At the time, I did not have a project in mind, but i eventually decided to make a tray. I ripped the maple into 5/16 strips, and the bubinga into strips that were 1/2, 1, and 1 1/4 wide and glued up into 3 sections I could run through my planer. Each section started at 24" long. Once the 3 sections were glued into one, I used a Whiteside bowl/tray bit and a homemade circle jig to route out the inside of the tray, going down 1/2".

After transferring reference marks to the backside of the tray, i again found the center (I hoped!). Moving the center jig and extending the bit to the outer edge of the tray, I changed to a 5/16" straight bit for my router, plunging about 1/4 deep with each pass to leave the lip of the tray 1/2 wide.

Initial finish is 2 coats of clear shellac brushed on, final coat will be rattle can of satin poly.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Came out great. I like the fact you used different widths of the Bubinga in the pattern, but kept the Maple the same width.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks great, Neal. When are you going to make the matching tray? In my house, "The Boss" would want to have at least two that matched. :)

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
This one is going to Mom for her birthday next week, wife is jealous of it. I see another one in my future...

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great work, your mom will really enjoy and appreciate this tray!

Thanks Barry.
She'll put it on her coffee table and dare me or my brothers to touch it, ROFL...

stevenross

steven
User
How did you turn to make the recessed part of the tray? I am looking to make a communion tray for our church so scanning for ideas. Thanks

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
This one is going to Mom for her birthday next week, wife is jealous of it. I see another one in my future...
Of course, SWMBO is going to want something similar and larger! (that is a given) Great work, Neal.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
How did you turn to make the recessed part of the tray? I am looking to make a communion tray for our church so scanning for ideas. Thanks

I bought a 'bowl' router bit (I think it was 1" diameter) and used a circle cutting jig for both the top and outer edge. I took my time to find the center of the bottom, then used a straight bit to route the outside.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS