Seperation at glue up

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I made this about 4 years ago. There is a very small separation at one of the joints.

Suggestions on corrective measures (if any) or just leave it alone?

Attachments

• received_391053906048492.jpeg
    received_391053906048492.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 92

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
It looks like quarter sawn white oak. Put a thin line of Titebond III (closest match in color to wood) on split, force it in with a putty knife, and immediately wipe it off with a wet rag. Let dry.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I agree w/ Wiley, but use a plastic putty knife or an old credit card. Something other than steel. You don't need a cross grain scratch to repair.
Another problem with a steel tool is that combined with the titebond, it could have a reaction with the tannic acid in the wood, leaving a black stain. I have experienced this before.

Claus

Claus
User
Dab some glue on the surface of the crack. Use the bottom half of a ballpoint pen barrel to blow the glue into the crack, like blowing through a straw. Blow from the larger part so the air flow is concentrated through the bottom hole, the one that used to have the pen tip sticking out. Clamp and wipe off the excess.

This has worked for me on many occasions

—Claus

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
For a narrow crevice like this I first thin the glue with water so it goes in easier.

Another option is to go underneath the table and install a pocket hole screw. You'll need a guide that clamps onto the surface (bought or homemade) to bore the hole.
Also clamp the two boards flush before adding the screw. Otherwise, you risk pulling one section uneven with the other.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I would use epoxy, vacuum on other side to pull glue. Might be hard to get wood filler in a crack that small.

Wood glue will shrink and may or may not last.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS