Self directed learning

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I sure can see the value and effort some take to show their process. Me, well I am usually too engrossed in the project to remember to take a picture. I did send some status to my sister for the table I just finished for her. It is walnut and has a tile top. I did all the joinery by hand. The one joint I had the worst time fitting was the stringer center half laps. Here is an in-progress of two bath vanities. I cut the bottoms and tops and added an Oriental kind of base. Now finished in dark green. I was going to scratch build, but these were 3/4 plywood and very stout.
Many times I start out with the intention of documenting my work only to get lost in the process and never take out my camera. I think the internet superstar content creators must have full time salaried photographers that follow them around 24/7.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I wonder would there be any value to a "build of the month"? A featured build that could be intentionally done to be recorded and photographed. In my mind I see these being simple weekend builds. Part of that is personal bias haha. I see the incredible furniture, segmented turnings, and sunrise dovetails, and I'm here watching 100 YouTube videos on basic boxes haha.
I think this could offer a lot of collaboration opportunities too within the small pockets of localities that we have.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I wonder would there be any value to a "build of the month"? A featured build that could be intentionally done to be recorded and photographed. In my mind I see these being simple weekend builds. Part of that is personal bias haha. I see the incredible furniture, segmented turnings, and sunrise dovetails, and I'm here watching 100 YouTube videos on basic boxes haha.
I think this could offer a lot of collaboration opportunities too within the small pockets of localities that we have.
Brilliant idea, we might even make a competition with prizes for the best build based on member votes.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Hahaha I meant more as a planned out feature focused on the process not just who has made the best build. I enjoy the write ups each month for the competition, however, they don't go into technique and decision making as much as an instructional article would.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hahaha I meant more as a planned out feature focused on the process not just who has made the best build. I enjoy the write ups each month for the competition, however, they don't go into technique and decision making as much as an instructional article would.
Well, yeah. That’s what I meant. Change the monthly or add to it to make it more of the process.

waitup

New User
Matt
I think this is a great idea as well!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have a contest every month this could certainly be one of them or in addition to the contest...
The question is what will drive "you" to take the time to document your process if you are not doing it now?

waitup

New User
Matt
I can do some documenting. I'm just getting back into the shop after moving and will be doing some casework in the near future. I'm not sure whether my tutorial would be a what to do or what not to do though.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Well folks, for complicated builds I try to take copious amount of photos (not so easy in the heat of construction) and document major parts of the build. It’s really can be tons of additional work to perform this documentation, though. Since I mostly build traditional furniture, not so sure much of it’s going to appeal to the majority of woodworkers.

I do this for two reasons, one so I can document what process I used during construction, so I can look back at a older build to remember what the heck I did. Secondly, I use the documentation to show the ‘client’ the progression of work, although most of my ‘clients’ are family or friends. I post this information on my website.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well folks, for complicated builds I try to take copious amount of photos (not so easy in the heat of construction) and document major parts of the build. It’s really can be tons of additional work to perform this documentation, though. Since I mostly build traditional furniture, not so sure much of it’s going to appeal to the majority of woodworkers.

I do this for two reasons, one so I can document what process I used during construction, so I can look back at a older build to remember what the heck I did. Secondly, I use the documentation to show the ‘client’ the progression of work, although most of my ‘clients’ are family or friends. I post this information on my website.
Robert,
I think some people here would be interested. I know I would like to build more furniture but the process seems a little overwhelming sometimes. Lots of parts and things must be done in a particular order to get it done without disassembling something. Would you mind posting at least one of your builds just to gage interest? Or a link to your website?

I know they say the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time but sometimes it helps to see how others have approached it before.

bainin

New User
bainin
Well- if you want to reach the sub 50 yr old kids...youre gonna have to step it up to TikTok video courses :)
Reading is nearly a lost art.

b

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Mike, sure I can post a link to my last major build, to see if the concept is helpful to the forum.

The build is a tall case clock originally built by John Townsend, as much as I would like to post photo's of the totally finished project, I am still awaiting the heart of the beast (the movement and dial).
Robert - Thanks for sharing. Both the build and the documentation are top notch. I for one really get a lot out of the pictures and excellent descriptions.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors