Segmented vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonB

Jon
User
Maple, padauk & mahogany. 7.5" tall 7"wide, buffed oil finish. After 10 years of turning finally getting into the segmented pieces that drew me to turning. I'm happy with the shape, glue joints are good. There is one issue I would change, I'll see if anybody else sees it. Critique away.

Attachments

• IMG_20180205_142358301.jpg
    IMG_20180205_142358301.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 216

mbromley

New User
Bromley
That looks great! I looked hard for an issue, but spotted none... Those glue joints are very nice.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jon, that is a nice looking piece. Question why is the part above the padauk and maple band stave construction when the rest of the piece is brick laid? I only noticed because you said to look closely.

Roy G

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Very nice craftsmanship. It might be top heavy with the small base. Just guessing :)

JonB

Jon
User
The piece is all flat ring construction, the ring you are looking at is a wide ring which makes it look like a stave ring.

JonB

Jon
User
Apparently what I see as an issue may not be an issue as no one has pointed it out. I think that the feature ring is a little too high in the vessel, I could have split the ring below and put half above the feature ring making the feature ring about a half inch lower. Maybe I'm being a little nit picky, I blame my slight OCD...which is a requirement of segmented turners.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it looks great jsut the way it is.
Since you said look I have two questions;
1. Would you have oriented the Padauk so the dark line in the vertical feature ring lines up?
2. Would you seperate the top and bottom ring so they don't blend in with the Mahogany?

JonB

Jon
User
Interesting questions.
If I understand your first question, you are asking if the grain direction on the vertical pieces of paduak could be changed. One of the most important things in segmenting is that grain direction in all the pieces must be in the same direction because of wood movement. The pieces must all move the same or the glue joints would be weak and could fail.
Your second question is a good point, I could have used maple veneer between the mahogany and paduak and it would have looked good. Veneer is often used this way, I just didn't in this case but plan to on the next piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS