Sears Saw Radial, w/leg Set 22010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Well went looking at tools this afternoon and ran across a Radial Arm Saw at Sears. Been wanting one for some time so Jumped into the frying pan and ordered one. Hope to be here in about 10-12 days. Was on sale until 11/11/06. LOML tells me Christmas is OUT for me because I have had Christmas about 365 days this year, but its been fun! Going to try and get back in the shop this weekend and finish working on my cabinets if my back will let me do some light work. Terry

Craftsman Professional Laser Trac™ 10 in. Radial Arm Saw

Sears item #00922010000 Mfr. model #22010

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00922010000?hei=100&wid=100&op_sharpen=1

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hate to burst your bubble, but you would be much $$$ ahead if you bought an old CI RAS from craig's list. Bought two this year. One for $55 and the other for $75. Earlier in spring a poster on craigslist in Durham had a Monkey Wards 10" Ras for $150. It was a Delta, sold as MW brand. Slightly older version of the saw that Norm has in his shop on NYW. New delivered price on this saw is about 2K. Recently bought a "used" one from state surplus for $150. Some idiot cuts 220 plug off and puts on a 110 plug. Motor plainly labeled 220 only. Want a deal in an older Craftsman radial saw?

T

toolferone

I am sure you will enjoy it. There is always something about having a brand new tool! Just please promise me you won't try to rip wood with it:eusa_pray !

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congrats, Terry!!!!!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I am sure that you will enjoy it! (Like Tom said....just don't try to rip with it!)

It is an adrenalin rush when you order a new power tool like this!

Have fun and let the sawdust fly!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Oh ya. Post a review when you get it all set up. Others here would like to hear your opinons of the saw!:-D )

Wayne

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Any tool with a laser +20 cool points!

Enjoy!!

If you are looking for a good book, check out Jon Eakes book on RAS. Its a PDF for sale on his website.

(Don't ask why I have 2 RAS, I'm not sure myself!)

Jim

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
That is a small saw you should have no problem fitting that into your shop :rotflm: :rotflm:
Nice haul we will wait for the pictures

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I have an old Sears radial arm saw (20 yrs). Like was said above DO NOT TRY TO RIP WITH IT! I set mine up against a wall so I can cut boards up to 20' if necessary. I spent about a half a day adjusting the saw so that I only cut 90 degrees, locked it down and haven't moved any settings in years. I use a 5 degree negative hook blade from Forrest. It is absolutely wonderful for squaring an edge or cutting a 90 degree angle. I also have a compound miter saw, but I love the 12" cut of the ras.
BTW, I also run the Sears off 220 v. and have a dust collector attached.
Jim in Mayberry

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Terry you are very lucky to have such an understanding wife. LOML told me my Christmas was spent in August!! :lol: :lol:

That looks like a pretty cool toy. I'd love to read what you think about it after you take delivery and get it set up.

Technically, it's not a gloat yet...no pics. ;-)

Chuck

rick7938

New User
Rick
Great catch, Terry. I'm like Jim. I love my little old Craftsman for cross-cutting lumber. After adjusting it and locking everything down, it has stayed on the money for the last couple of years. I would still check it with a square occasionally. Any machine can get out of adjustment.

Enjoy your new saw.

mac martin

New User
mac
Hey guys - you got it all wrong.
First you rip against the rotation, catipults are for launching missiles, and
Second - Always tie a project for the wiffie with a new tool,
That way no windows, or necks get broken, AND you keep on getting nwebies.:lol:

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Hey guys - you got it all wrong.
First you rip against the rotation, catipults are for launching missiles, and
Second - Always tie a project for the wiffie with a new tool,
That way no windows, or necks get broken, AND you keep on getting nwebies.:lol:

I Like That!:rotflm:

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Terry you are very lucky to have such an understanding wife. LOML told me my Christmas was spent in August!! :lol: :lol:

That looks like a pretty cool toy. I'd love to read what you think about it after you take delivery and get it set up.

Chuck

I will give everyone the results of the saw once I get it in place. And of course Pixtures! Terry:new_smili

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly

Chuck

I can assure you LOML has her ducks in a row. She has the catch me, I got you NOW attitude! It COSTS me! But Its worth it sometimes. This year it No income tax refund if I get one and no ands ifs or anything else.
I Love it! Terry:director: :XXpuke:

mac martin

New User
mac
A little while back, after we moved here to Murphy, friend gave me a RAS - the digital readout version, he got it from a client, dodn't need it, but needed the "space" Was glad to help him "get his workspace back". Needs a new battery, some greasing (TLC) and a new top, but otherwise - a great deal.

I plan to set it up on our lower deck for a rough-cut rip / crosscut station. Keep the waste and sawdust outside. Has a weather cover.

Am adding some hold-downs and featherboards to add a lot of safety to the mix.

Changing the top to a laminated 1" plywood and 1/4" hardboard(tacked on) type.( can replace the hardboard as it gets "ripped up".)

Had this set-up a few years (30 or so) ago before I got my table saw, and was well pleased with the set-up.

Best of time with "your" new toy.:lol:

M

McRabbet

While this link will not apply to Terry's new RAS, it may well apply to those of you that have older models of the Sears RAS -- in 2000 a safety recall was made by the Consumer Products Commission for RAS' made by Emerson for Sears concerning the blade guard -- check your model numbers here for the necessary replacement parts if you haven't done so already (free for most saws, or they'll send you $100 for return of affected saws they cannot guard properly after you send them the saw carriage).

Above all, radial arm saws need extra attention to safety and must be operated properly. As already stated in this thread, please do not perform rip cuts with a RAS -- it is too dangerous. :eusa_doh: DAMHIKT, but I once sent a piece of 2x4 through my garage door trying...

Rob

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
While this link will not apply to Terry's new RAS, it may well apply to those of you that have older models of the Sears RAS -- in 2000 a safety recall was made by the Consumer Products Commission for RAS' made by Emerson for Sears concerning the blade guard -- check your model numbers here for the necessary replacement parts if you haven't done so already (free for most saws, or they'll send you $100 for return of affected saws they cannot guard properly after you send them the saw carriage).

Above all, radial arm saws need extra attention to safety and must be operated properly. As already stated in this thread, please do not perform rip cuts with a RAS -- it is too dangerous. :eusa_doh: DAMHIKT, but I once sent a piece of 2x4 through my garage door trying...

Rob
I guess that I shouldn't use my table saw as I also experienced kick back once. Drove a piece of 4/4 oak thru the side of a cabinet that was ten feet away. The gaurd system for the old Sears saws was designed to limit Emerson's liability more than anything else. The one on the cut off saw at Raleigh Hardwoods is a PITA to use. It would be fairly easy to use some 1/4 baltic birch and make a copy of the design of gaurd that Delta and others use. Have you seen the gaurd system on the radial saws that Home Depot uses? I'm old enough to remember 14-16" Dewalts being set up on a long bench (about 24') and everything for the framing of a house being ripped and cut to length on it. Some also used moulding heads to make moulding, and this was definitely a "ripping" cut. Personally, I think the ripping thing is over blown. I think it is a shame to trash a good CI radial saw for a measily hundred bucks. :BangHead: The most dangerous thing in most shops is a "razor knife", or the loose nut at the controls of a piece of machinery

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I also have a sears radial arm saw, very old, and love it. Don't know how anyone could complete a woodworking project without one. Enjoy your new tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS