Sealing western cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I want to seal or fill the cracks/knots in some western cedar. Looking "rustic" is ok, but deterioration isn't. Size varies from 9" wide x 1/2" thick to 7" wide x 1" think. The finish will probably be BLO/Shellac/Danish Oil or some combination of those.

Looky here:
Westerncedar2.jpg

And here:
westerncedar_crack1.jpg

TIA :)

Roger

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
bondo with red hardener might look inconspicuous!:lol: clear epoxy would prolly look beter though.:icon_thum

fred p

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks fredp! :icon_thum
Did you learn that from Dozer???

Roger (who thought epoxy was a childhood disease :drunken_s)

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Roger
I just used some CA and sawdust on the headboard I'm working on. I had some knots larger than yours. Put in a little sawdust added CA. packed it in and added layers till it was full. Seems like it did a good job. Just hope it lasts.

pete

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks fredp! :icon_thum
Did you learn that from Dozer???

Roger (who thought epoxy was a childhood disease :drunken_s)

nah ive had that epoxy thing since childhood!:rolf: i use it a lot for filling knots and cracks. you can add sawdust of your choice to add color but it is clear to start and takes on the color of whatever you are puting it in fairly well. ca willl work also but epoxy is bomb proof!:-D and it fills in one pass.

fred p

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, you need to tell the government about this stuff :rolf:

Roger

if i told the gubmit bout it they would spend the next 20 years tryyin to figure a way to tax it or outlaw it!:rolf: fer now i thinks i keeeps it ta meself. k?:lol:

fred p

DavidF

New User
David
I would go the epoxy route. With this type of job I tend to gently heat the glue as I am mixing it which allows it to pour into the voids better so avoiding a lot of stick ygoo on the surface while you try and work it in. Beware, the heating really reduces the set time so work fast or use standard 24hr stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors