Scrollsaw bowls/baskets - How to - ( picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Here are photo's for the basics of assembly of a scroll saw bowl/basket:

First is a cut, but unassembled basket:

Start with the base:

Rotate and add 1st layer:

Rotate and add second layer:

Rotate and add 3rd layer:

Same for 4th layer:

Rotate and add final (in this case) layer:

I use glue that dries clear and use finish of my choice.

wrwilder

New User
Ray
Re: Scroll saw bowls/baskets picture heavy

Very nice work. I like this idea and may try it myself.
Thanks,

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member

Cathy, You are an enabler! :gar-La; I don't have a scroll saw yet. Every time I see your work it makes me want one more. Not that I could come close to what you do.:no:
Keep up the great work.

Thanks for sharing,

RayH

New User
Ray

+1 to what Randy said. You make it look so doable.:eusa_clap

Thanks for sharing your skill.
Ray

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

just do it....
See how simple it really is
(yeah right...)

Thanks for posting Cathy
the process is straightforward - my straight cuts aren't, but my curved ones are-:dontknow:

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Hey, Cathy nice work - what is the thickness on the bowl blank and the width of your rings

cskipper

Cathy

I believe these were about 1/4" to 1/2" thick wood. The thinnest I have used is 3/16th but only because I discovered a problem with our planer and had to go thinner than I would have preferred in order to get a good clean surface. the rule of thumb is the thinner the wood, the shorter the basket. The one should be about 1-1/2" tall. I believe the tallest one I have done is 6 inches, maybe 7.

T

toolferone

Cathy thanks for the lesson. I really am going to try one on one
my trips home. Where are you getting the patterns and are you
doing any sanding on the basket at any time?

cskipper

Cathy
Tutorials and software for making bowl patterns can be found at http://www.scrollmania.com/
Lots of free patterns http://www.stevedgood.com/community/index.php

The scrollmania site is very cool - you decide on the size and shape of the bowl, if it's wavy or not, how many waves...

I do sand each ring of the bowl before I glue them together, must because I don't want anyone to feel a sharp edge on any of my pieces. If I had a FUBAR I can sand it out as well.

I really like the baskets like the one above - because you only need to have a single piece of wood to cut the entire basket. Some patterns have rings than you stack, where one layer is different than the next. This takes much more wood, and leaves you with the left over wood of the insides of the rings. Here is an example of that type:

You could still get the various woods by cutting several bowls and mixing up the layers. In reality, I usually cut at least two at a time.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Cathy,
What blades are you cutting with? and where are you buying them. I remember some one on the scrollsaw site sold blades but I caint remember who it was and I looked today I am down to my last 12 baldes.
Thanks Mark

cskipper

Cathy
Cathy,
What blades are you cutting with? and where are you buying them. I remember some one on the scrollsaw site sold blades but I caint remember who it was and I looked today I am down to my last 12 baldes.
Thanks Mark

If I am cutting plywood I use the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades. I I don't need to woirry about cutting plywood I use the blades from PSWood. They might be expensive and only get a price break at 100, but they cut the straightest of any other blade I have found. They only offer one type (no reverse teeth) - in sized 2, 3 (I think), 5, 7, 9 and 12. It's worth it to me to not have to figure out the blade drift when cutting small things, so if at all possible I use the PSWood scroll saw blades. I do know that she offers a sample pack of 3 or 4 sizes for a decent price if you just want to try them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors