Scroll Saw questin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I am considering buying a scroll saw. I've been looking on Craigs List for a couple weeks with no luck. (If anyone here has a decent one for sale, let me know)

I looked on the Grizzly site and found these two. My question is, what is the difference except the $10 difference? I know the second link shows different model numbers, but I really don't see the difference.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/DW788-20-Scroll-Saw/G4196

http://www.grizzly.com/products/DW788-7880-7881-20-Scroll-Saw-W-Stand-And-Light/H7414

sawduster

New User
Robert
Reading between the lines and owning one of these myself ( I love it ! ) it looks like one comes with light and stand and the other doesn't . They've simply used the same stock picture for both listings . i would call and confirm but that is my 2 cents. Go for the stand and light if this is the case. The light is $25 by itself :eek:

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Reading between the lines and owning one of these myself ( I love it ! ) it looks like one comes with light and stand and the other doesn't . They've simply used the same stock picture for both listings . i would call and confirm but that is my 2 cents. Go for the stand and light if this is the case. The light is $25 by itself :eek:

Yep, looking further, the other model numbers are for the stand and light. Sounds like a pretty good price.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That's a great price for the DW788 with the light and stand. I love mine, except its broke, and Scott M. has at least 3. He'll also say the same for the DW788. Whether you just want to saw occasionally, or you want to do some serious sawing, it's a great machine. Anxiously waiting for the DW Service Center to get mine back in action. BTW, I bought a used Hegner, current model comparison is $1300, and although I can't get it to cut as well as it is supposed to, if all were running as they should, I still prefer the DW788.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's a great price for the DW788 with the light and stand. I love mine, except its broke, and Scott M. has at least 3. He'll also say the same for the DW788. Whether you just want to saw occasionally, or you want to do some serious sawing, it's a great machine. Anxiously waiting for the DW Service Center to get mine back in action. BTW, I bought a used Hegner, current model comparison is $1300, and although I can't get it to cut as well as it is supposed to, if all were running as they should, I still prefer the DW788.

I own three scroll saws but only 2 are DW788. And NO!!!! They are not available. Now the third is a Hawk which I could take of leave. Basically I keep that due to the 26 cut capacity.

jhreed

New User
james
Where is Bill Clemmons when you need him? He has a 24" Delta, so do I, but I am a learner. One of our members just sold one in pristine condition for 125.00. I paid $94.00 for mine. Wait for Bill to comment on the 24" Delta.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Problem solved. I realized that I don't really know how much scrolling I will do and wasn't real keen on spending ~$500 right now.

Solution? Charlie to the rescue!! Just got back from his shop where he sold me a 20" VS Craftsman that he wasn't using (that sucker is heavy!). The even better news is he lives less than 10 minutes from me and has invited me to hang out in his shop any time...really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the great deal, Charlie and the tour of your shop (If you haven't seen his shop, it's jaw dropping).

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
If it is the same one I have you should look up my thread on converting it to to a tool less blade holder (I just did the top, but others have done both) using a cheap replacement part for a Ryobi 18".

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Preston, Glad I could help out a fellow woodworker. I enjoyed our visit and you are welcome in my shop anytime. Just give me a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors