Scroll saw gift box/basket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Been learning to use the scroll saw that I purchased from Charlie a couple of months ago. This is a combination of patterns by Steve Good. Made for my son's girl friend's birthday.

Bloodwood and red oak. I got the bloodwood from Anchor Hardwoods in Raleigh. VERY hard wood, but finishes nicely.

SANY0186.JPG

SANY0188_-_Copy.JPG

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
OMG. That is absolutely wonderful. How do you do the bow????

Beautiful.

Tom Swortzel

Thanks, Tom. The bow is scrolled from 3/4" bloodwood, sanded to a taper so they fit nicely together, sanded flat on one side, then glued to the top.

Steve Good has some really nice patterns here http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/ and they are all free. (I actually combined two different patterns) He also has some very helpful videos on YouTube.

If you have not signed up for Steve's daily mailing list... I recommend it and it does not blow up your email too bad cause most of the time it is a little daily bit of good info

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Preston, Very nice. I like the wood combination. Glad to see that the saw is working out for you. You have used it more in the 2 months than I did in all the years I had it. :icon_thum

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Preston, Very nice. I like the wood combination. Glad to see that the saw is working out for you. You have used it more in the 2 months than I did in all the years I had it. :icon_thum

Thanks, Charlie. The saw is awesome, now that I have figured out how to stop breaking blades so much :gar-La; Sent you a PM.

cskipper

Cathy
You did a great job on that!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I made the basket, but not the lid. Your basket looks better than mine - the corners and "dowels" meet better than mine do. Love the choices of woods too. I don't remember, is the bow cut in 3D?

I am glad you are learning to scroll. Steve Goode's site is a great one - lots of good discussions and patterns. You'll break fewer blades as you scroll more. Sometimes you will get a bad batch, but that is fairly rare.

Good job!!!!!!!

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Cathy, thanks for the compliment...coming from you it means a lot. It was actually my wife that encouraged me to take up the scroll saw. She bought one of your baskets at the picnic last year and asked if I thought I could make one. I saw my chance to get a new toy and told her "sure I can". :gar-Bi

The bow is 3 separate ovals sanded to a taper so they fit together and glued on separately (he has a video on YouTube explaining the process). As far as the blades go, I bought some less expensive ones (Bosch, Ryobi) to learn with which probably accounts for some breakage.

I picked up a really nice piece of Wenge at Anchor hardwoods a couple of weeks ago and plan on attempting a basket. Have you ever worked with Wenge? Not sure how it will go. I'll post some pics if all goes well.

cskipper

Cathy
You will be AMAZED at the difference in howmuch more enjoyable scrolling will be when you use better blades. Even the difference between Olsens and Flying Dutchman blades makes a significant difference. I'm impressed that you could cut that bloodwood with the blades you have. I haven't worked with Wenge, but have a piece waiting for me to try my hand an intarsia again.

When you are interested in making your own basket patterns let me know. A very generous man on a scrolling site created a program that you can play around with designs.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nicely done !! :icon_cheers kudos also for giving Steve his props on the design :icon_thum Like Cathy I am impressed that you did that bloodwood so well with those particular blades :eek:
Good work :eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors