Screw up (pun Intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, yesterday's disaster.

ScrewMissesjpg.jpg

Not only will it be difficult to get to screws to remove them (right now they spin) but How do I clean up the mess inside after they are removed?

I think I really messed up on my assembly strategy

Monty

New User
Monty
SteveColes said:
How do I clean up the mess inside after they are removed?

Ouch. Gettin' them screws out is gonna be fun! Let us know how you do it!

Regarding cleaning up the mess: don't. Just leave it like that. It's just going to store wood/scraps anyway, right? Let your lumber cover it up... no one will ever know and it'll be our little secret!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
insomniac said:

Well, between this site flakiness for the last two days and that screw up, I was so frustrated. I went and picked up my brand new performax 22/44 sander :lol: Now i feel better. I may be a lousy craftsmen, but I sure got some nice tools:eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, if you can't fix it with that sander, you'll have to get a bigger one :lol: . That looks like the inside of your A frame sheet goods holder. If it is I would leave them there and drive a few extra to make sure you get good contact, and just don't point out the insides to anyone. It's a shop fixture, that's where you're supposed to make your mistakes. Dave:)

frankson

New User
Jeff
The dovetails look great, just work on those pins...

Seriously, I'm with the group view - it's your shop, learn from it and use it. Hell, I make mistakes like that but, have no shop in which to hide them.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
insomniac said:

Regarding cleaning up the mess: don't. Just leave it like that. It's just going to store wood/scraps anyway, right? Let your lumber cover it up... no one will ever know and it'll be our little secret!

When I put in the second shelf, the same happened again. Well, now I understand what happened. The shelf sagged despite using temp ledger boards. I was so frustrated, I just let it go for a while. The last few days, I removed all the screws that missed and put new screws in. This of course left an enormous number of holes on both sides of the A frame. I was going to just let them be. But DaveO shamed me:eusa_naug into plugging them. So after making over 120 plugs and gluing them in, tomorrow I take a belt sander to even them off and see how many smaller holes there are and then it's time for filler:crybaby2:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
At least now we know where to go to get some sanding done heh!!!!!!!!:eusa_danc

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
It's too late now but you could have left them and told people they are prototypes for a new reverse pocket screw :lol:

Steve D

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve D said:
It's too late now but you could have left them and told people they are prototypes for a new reverse pocket screw :lol:

Steve D

It's never a mistake, it's a feature:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Today my wife was showing me pictures that she took at the fair. But I saw this one and didn't remember her taking it. This was while I was putting in the second shelf and before I took out all the missed screws , etc.

I had just broken the 3rd 7/64 pilot hole drill bit in the last hour. I was out of 7/64 bits, one half of the bit was frozen in its countersink holder and the other half was deeply embedded in the plywood. I was so mad that my wife said that I was cursing up a storm and didn't even notice that she was in the garage, let alone that was taking a picture with a flash.

justbrokeanotherdrillbit.jpg

For those of you who wonder why I am showing my disaster of a garage and my lousy work, the reason is simple. As the webmaster of the site, I feel it is my duty to make the members feel good. So no matter how new you are to woodworking and/or how lousy a craftsman you are, My stuff will make you feel better about your self:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS