SawStop: Thank You!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am currently building a kitchen island, my wife is really excited about it, so I am trying to make it both functional and attractive. Today, while ripping some 8/4 ash, I managed to trigger the blade-break on my table saw. I have owned the saw for about twelve years and this is the first time I have activated the break due to contact with flesh. In all candor, when it happened it took me a few seconds to figure out that my thumb had come in contact with the blade...I didn't feel a thing. Here is how it happened, as I was getting close to the end of the board, I realized that I needed to move my push stick to avoid the blade; for some reason I tried to use my left hand to nudge the stick over, as I did this I had my eye on top of the board and could see that the blade was about 2" from the end of the board, what I failed to see/realize was the leading edge of the blade had already cleared the board...BAM...my thumb hit the blade. While the accident could have been significant, the blade barely nicked me before the break was activated, it didn't even need a bandaid. The cost to me, $79 for a new break and about $40 for blade repair. All things considered, I feel very fortunate that I have a SawStop.

74740E7A-25B2-4CAE-A202-CEFE92094FF6.jpeg

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Wonderful news and very minimal injury. I have never triggered my saw either and hope not to do so. It is still great to see the technology works.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
That's awesome, having had an unfortunate tablesaw experience myself, I'm so happy you made that choice some many years ago. Well worth the money.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Glad that you are okay and a good reminder for all of us to be careful. We all make mistakes. Many would need to add the cost of new underwear to the BOM.... :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great timing Donn, as i just purchased a SawStop Saturday. I shared this with my wife.

Neal, congratulations on your new saw! Irrespective of the safety feature, which is awesome, it is a great table saw by all other measures . By now I am sure you have come to appreciate how well written the assembly instructions are.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Glad your were not significantly injured. My experience was different because kickback forced my hand rapidly into the blade. But it was still a lot less injured than it would have been without the brake actuation.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you’re OK, it’s also nice to hear the technology works!

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I did almost the exact same thing last weekend and walked away with the equivalent of a small paper cut. now the 100 dollar blade lost about 8 teeth....

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Glad your were not significantly injured. My experience was different because kickback forced my hand rapidly into the blade. But it was still a lot less injured than it would have been without the brake actuation.

Jim, you are absolutely correct ... having your hand actually forced into the blade is a far different experience than what I had; I can't even imagine it. That said, I am so glad you did have the safety technology associated with the saw; I am a believer!

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Neal, congratulations on your new saw! Irrespective of the safety feature, which is awesome, it is a great table saw by all other measures . By now I am sure you have come to appreciate how well written the assembly instructions are.

The instructions are very good. I think the hardest part was opening up those flaps on the hardware packages! :D

Johnson

New User
AD
Glad that you are okay. I will be showing this thread to the wife at a date and time to be determined about upgrading to a SawStop. I have yet to hear about someone who was unhappy that they took the plunge and bought one.

Reactions: drw

Ken_NC

New User
Ken
I am very thankful that you and your thumb are OK. When I was buying a new table saw, my wife was a strong supporter of getting a Sawstop, especially since I would be working alone in the shop most of the time. We figured it to be cheap insurance.

Reactions: drw

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I own three table saws -- a SawStop, an inherited Craftsman, and an inherited Delta. The SawStop is the only one I will use. If he'll come get it, I'm giving the Craftsman (a nineties model used probably less than two hours) to a friend, and the Delta is at our farm. It will probably never get used.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS