Sawstop - stil stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I love a happy ending. STUFF does happen. What separates the good from the bad is how they deal with it the STUFF. Yes some times it takes more time then we want and a few phone calls but I am glad it worked out.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
They swapped it out for a new one. What more should they have done ... shoot the manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They shouldnt have dragged their feet. And drag their feet they did. Its supposed to be a premium product with premium support one would expect. I am curious though, who has to disassemble your old one, box it up and see to it that it gets shipped? Is Sawstop going to do all of that?. Or do you have to load it on a truck or trailer and go get the new one at Klingspor too?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
They shouldnt have dragged their feet. And drag their feet they did. Its supposed to be a premium product with premium support one would expect. I am curious though, who has to disassemble your old one, box it up and see to it that it gets shipped? Is Sawstop going to do all of that?. Or do you have to load it on a truck or trailer and go get the new one at Klingspor too?

Sawstop authorized swapping out a new saw for the defective. Klingspor is going to supply the replacement saw and facilitate shipping the defective saw back to Sawstop.

I have no complaints about how Sawstop or Klingspor handled this situation.

Pete

There you go.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you are happy, then everybody SHOULD be happy:eusa_danc, because you were the "only one with a dog in this fight."

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I am very satisfied with how both Klingspor and Sawstop handled this matter.

Pete

I love a happy ending. STUFF does happen. What separates the good from the bad is how they deal with it the STUFF. Yes some times it takes more time then we want and a few phone calls but I am glad it worked out.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Can we stop "whining" about Saw Stop and Klingspor now? Pete did a fine job negotiating the fix with a lot of patience.

I'd buy a Saw Stop if I wanted one despite the vilification of them here.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
The problem that my new Sawstop saw experienced is a newly-emerging issues that the tech said Sawstop had not see before. It appears to be limited to a production batch of 100 saws, or at least the complaints that they have seen so far all come from this batch. So far, Sawstops engineers have not been able to figure out what is causing the fault. That is why they were so interested in having my saw shipped back to them. They want to isolate the problem and fix the problem. The last thing that Sawstop wants if for this issue to start rearing its head on a new batch of saws.

Late today I removed the fence, fence tube and the rails. The extension table was take off too. It took about 90 minutes to disassemble it to this point and to arrange the parts for reassembly. Coleman and Mike from Klingspor called me this morning, offering to swap the saws out today. Unfortunately, I had appointments that would make the swap today impossible. Klingspor is sending one of their trucks to my home on Monday to pick up the old saw and drop off the new one. Klingspor is taking care of packing and shipping the old saw back to Sawstop.

If I had been able to be home today, I'd probably be in the garage right now calibrating the new saw.

In my book, that is pretty good service from both Klingspor and from Sawstop.

Pete

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I think that both Klingspor and Sawstop crafted a very consumer friendly solution to the problem with my Sawstop cabinet saw. Mike and Coleman went out of their way to check serial numbers of the saws that they had in inventory to make certain that I did not get another saw from the same batch as the saw that is being returned to Sawstop.

Pete

Can we stop "whining" about Saw Stop and Klingspor now? Pete did a fine job negotiating the fix with a lot of patience.

I'd buy a Saw Stop if I wanted one despite the vilification of them here.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
In the final analysis, it all ended well for you. I commend you for "keeping your cool" during this time and do think you proved that by doing so, you saved yourself a lot of aggravation. It also seems that Sawstop as well as Klingspor handled it properly. However, if the Sawstop tech right from the start told you they guarantee they will either repair it or send out a new one you would have felt better right from the start. You probably weren't the first owner of a saw from the "defective batch" to have this complaint but wasn't told of this until a couple of calls later if what I read is correct.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
When I said "emerging issue" previous posts, that appears to be exactly what Sawstop was experiencing. The first tech had heard nothing about the fault until he received a call back a couple of days later from a Sawstop engineer. The second tech was better informed, probably because he had the advantage of being in direct contact with the engineer who was working on a similar problem on a saw from the same batch as mine. As the problem with my saw defied traditional Sawstop diagnostic tests, it was becoming clear that the usual components that might cause this sort of problem were not to blame.

This was a batch of 100 saws. Undoubtedly quite a few of them are still sitting in inventory of Sawstops many authorized sales locations. There may only be a very few number in the hands of consumers at this point. Another factor is that my saw ran just fine for over a month. There are probably other saws with the same fault that I experienced that are still running well and that may or may not fail in the future.

I don't think that either of the techs at Sawstop thought that the fault was going to be the enigma that it turned out to be.

Pete

In the final analysis, it all ended well for you. I commend you for "keeping your cool" during this time and do think you proved that by doing so, you saved yourself a lot of aggravation. It also seems that Sawstop as well as Klingspor handled it properly. However, if the Sawstop tech right from the start told you they guarantee they will either repair it or send out a new one you would have felt better right from the start. You probably weren't the first owner of a saw from the "defective batch" to have this complaint but wasn't told of this until a couple of calls later if what I read is correct.

cfield60

jeff
User
I've always heard that you shouldn't buy a car that was assembled on a Monday or a Friday, maybe that goes for Saw Stop tablesaws also, LOL. :)

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Everyone is free to assess how this situation played out for themselves. I personally reside in the camp that SawStop did not handle this very well and does not deserve any kudos here. Way too much of the customers time was wasted. They did finally do something useful by swapping out the saws. Just because they could have handled it worse (by dragging it out even longer or refusing to send a new saw) does not mean they handled it well. The buyer is happy, so that is great, but the rest of us who may consider future purchases are not wrong in any way to see this differently.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I personally reside in the camp that SawStop did not handle this very well and does not deserve any kudos here.

You're an electrical engineer and it's a little surprising that you're not at least slightly sympathetic to SawStop and this "engineering" problem with a batch of about 100 saws. What's changed about the saw components that we haven't seen before?

It's a new problem whose cause is unknown but it may be related to some of the components (bearings) in the saw arbor technology and the SS engineers are trying to figure out the what and why of it. Electromagnetically induced fields triggering the no-start mode by sensing moisture presence even though there isn't any moisture? :confused:

I'd cut a break for all parties in this unusual set of circumstances.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
You're an electrical engineer and it's a little surprising that you're not at least slightly sympathetic to SawStop and this "engineering" problem with a batch of about 100 saws.

The customers shouldn't have to be the field technicians too. Not on a brand new piece of equipment at least. Just my opinion.

jhreed

New User
james
I have a solution to your problem. Study the safety rules of operating a table saw. Then purchase a cabinet saw from Delta, Powermatic, Jet, Grizzly.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I joked with Mike at Klingspor that this saw must have been assembled on the day after Chinese New Year. I can imagine some hung-over Taiwanese assembly line worker, with a massive headache, banging this saw together, then passing it on to an equally hung-over quality control worker.

In reality a lot of companies subcontract a lot, if not all, of the components that go into their products. It could be that a Sawstop subcontractor got sloppy with a component that it was manufacturing. If it is the arbor bearings, as the engineer at Sawstop suspected, then it is beyond my understanding of how the Sawstop safety system works and how a bearing issue could cause the fault that I experienced. Obviously, Sawstop technology is able to instantly determine if something conductive, such as a hotdog or your finger, touches the blade. When you think about how the blade connects to the rest of the saw and how this signal through the arbor, arbor bearings, etc., it is a very complex system that appears to work very well - most of the time.

Pete

I've always heard that you shouldn't buy a car that was assembled on a Monday or a Friday, maybe that goes for Saw Stop tablesaws also, LOL. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors