Sawstop - stil stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I finished up my third call to Sawstop technical support this morning. This time we spent over an hour trying to determine what was causing my new Sawstop professional 3hp cabinet saw from starting. Since this problem started I have loosened, cleaned and re tightened the arbor sensor, changed out the brake, tested the data port at the switch and tested the saw motor relay, and tested the saw blade rotation sensor. We also tested for a couple of error codes by using bypass mode and the paddle switch. All with no success.

As I noted in a previous thread; the saw intermittently will not start. When this happens it flashing the wet wood code - fast flashing red light. I was starting to think that it was possible a problem with the motor until I opened the relay cover and activated it manually. It started up instantly.

The tech, said that they error codes that the saw was was displaying showed "too much signal." He didn't know what would be causing the problem. We finished up with him saying that he was going to contact one of their engineers to see if they could send me a test brake to try to capture more error codes. He also suggested that I should bring the brake inside tonight where it would be warmer, then try the warm brake tomorrow morning to see if the saw would start. The temperature in my garage never goes below 45 degrees and is usually around 55 degrees when it is below freezing outside. I was not aware that Sawstop saws were cold sensitive. And if it turns out that cold brake is causing the fault, am I supposed to have remove the brake every time I stop the saw and put it someplace warm?

Have any of the Sawstop owners had cold related issues with their saws?

Three calls to Sawstop and I still have a practically brand new saw that does not work. I wonder what Sawstop does in cases where the customer does not have electrical meters or the other tools or the skill to perform the tests that they have requested. [You have not lived until you have to remove the arbor sensor from a Sawstop saw why sprawled out on a concrete floor in a chilly garage.] The relay test is done on a live 240V circuit. While I am used to doing that sort of thing, all it would take is one slip to receive a pretty harsh jolt of electricity.

If you buy a $250 washing machine and it quits working within the warranty period, the manufacturer - Maytag, Samsung, Bosch, etc.. will send a service tech to you home to fix it. But if your $3,000+ Sawstop table saw develops a fault, there are no service techs coming to your home to fix it.

This is not your grandfather's table saw. If this were a Jet, Grizzly, or Powermatic table saw, I could sort out the fault in very short order. Because of the computer-connected sensors on the Sawstop tool, it is very difficult to tell what is causing the fault. It also appears that Sawstops self-diagnostic software and sensors are not able to perform a diagnostic that can isolate the location of the problem.

This is incredibly discouraging.

I'm going to fair to Sawstop and give them some more time to fix the problem. I talked to my credit card company today and they said that I still have some time to let the merchant and the manufacturer fix the problem before the window to dispute the sale closes. I hope it does not go that far, but I have no intention of letting this go on for a lot longer.

Pete

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I understand your frustration. If you had wanted to fix it yourself, you would have bought it used without a warranty. For the price of that saw, I'm a bit surprised they don't require the retailer (or someone) to provide some basic diagnostic services.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
They should send a technician to your shop in Denver to diagnose/fix it at no charge to you! You may have to be insistent and/or contact SawStop management.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
The saw has an extensive list of faults that it can diagnose. In my case the primary diagnostic code says that I am trying to cut lumber that is too wet. What does not make any sense is that it generates this code as I try to start the saw with no lumber, wet or dry, anywhere near the saw blade. The saws computer receives information from the arbor sensor and the brake, as best as I can tell. It causes the same problem with either the standard brake for a 10" blade or the brake for an 8" dado blade, so I'm thinking that the fault is not the brake.

Pete

I understand your frustration. If you had wanted to fix it yourself, you would have bought it used without a warranty. For the price of that saw, I'm a bit surprised they don't require the retailer (or someone) to provide some basic diagnostic services.

cfield60

jeff
User
I can remember buying a Honda 4-wheeler many years ago from what was then Honda of Rockingham, a couple of days later the trans shifter stopped working for some reason and I took it back to the dealer. They tried to shift it into gear and when it did not work they just gave me another brand new one, no questions asked. Service like that is hard to find. Too bad Saw Stop doesn't have that good of service. Someone said on another thread that Festool had bought Saw Stop. Is that true?

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I don't mind making swapping out a switch or even changing a relay or something like that. But in this case, three phone calls to Sawstop tech support have no gotten the saw running. I agree, it is time for them to send a tech and get this sorted out.

I'm a general contractor who has built homes for the last 30+ years. If a customer calls me at night and says that his HVAC isn't working. The most that I'm going to ask him to do is to check to see if a breaker has tripped. There is no way that I'm going to ask him to start fiddling with the internals of the equipment. He can expect to see a service tech at him home the next day, if not sooner. And Sawstop has a much bigger budget for service repairs that I do.

Pete

They should send a technician to your shop in Denver to diagnose/fix it at no charge to you!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I heard that Festool bought Sawstop too.

Pete

I can remember buying a Honda 4-wheeler many years ago from what was then Honda of Rockingham, a couple of days later the trans shifter stopped working for some reason and I took it back to the dealer. They tried to shift it into gear and when it did not work they just gave me another brand new one, no questions asked. Service like that is hard to find. Too bad Saw Stop doesn't have that good of service. Someone said on another thread that Festool had bought Saw Stop. Is that true?

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I think we've had other posts over the years where SawStop has sent someone out.

I hate that you're having this problem.

PS - The only error I ever get is when I mistakenly fail to pull the paddle out crisply. Ugh. User error is frustrating too.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I bought the saw in November. It worked great until it started having the startup faults. I think that Sawstop makes good machinery; I just managed to get one with a fault that is proving very difficult to diagnose.

Pete

I think we've had other posts over the years where SawStop has sent someone out.

I hate that you're having this problem.

PS - The only error I ever get is when I mistakenly fail to pull the paddle out crisply. Ugh. User error is frustrating too.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
As a SawStop owner I agree that this is getting ridiculous. Do you have a Twitter account?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I don’t either, but when my friends van caught fire, in the driveway, at night, not running, I posted a picture, short comment and a hashtag with the brand name...things were resolved quickly. Just sayin’

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I'm going to give them a chance to fix it, but I'm not going to wait much longer. If that does not happen, I can file a dispute with my credit card provider which will compel the acceptable repair of the saw or it can be changed back. I have only had to do that a couple of times, but I found it to be very effective when the manufacturer or merchant would not stand behind their product.

Pete

I don’t either, but when my friends van caught fire, in the driveway, at night, not running, I posted a picture, short comment and a hashtag with the brand name...things were resolved quickly. Just sayin’

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Pete, with all due respect SIR I would be on the phone tomorrow and have a brief one sided conversation! Tell Sawstop they have 24 hrs to get a tech to the saw and have it running, after that, stop payment, being you are a builder, :DI am ex trimmer, i would call my lawyer and put it into his hands.

ENOUGH BOVINE RESIDUE

Newboy

George
User
Expecting SawStop to send someone on-site from across the country is ridiculous, and would probably cost more than the entire cost of the saw.

Having you probing around on the saw is equally ridiculous.

At my company, we would have a new saw delivered next day.

BTW, we don’t make saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Pete,

You have an incredibly high amount of patience! I really like the idea of the sawstop safety factor and would have thought that for the “price of a used car saw” would have excellent customer service.

I hope sawstop gets this issue resolved for you soon!

Zach

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I wonder what Sawstop does in cases where the customer does not have electrical meters or the other tools or the skill to perform the tests that they have requested. [You have not lived until you have to remove the arbor sensor from a Sawstop saw why sprawled out on a concrete floor in a chilly garage.] The relay test is done on a live 240V circuit. While I am used to doing that sort of thing, all it would take is one slip to receive a pretty harsh jolt of electricity.

Pete

I would ask them just that and tell them to come and get it or send you a completely new electrical control system for it. Suppose you did electrocute yourself?. How are they going to compensate you for the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS