SawStop issue on dust accumulation limiting blade travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I have a SawStop contractor saw. After a few projects, I’ve noticed the blade won’t lower beneath the table. Some investigation shows that dust accumulation in the vertical and angle threaded rods prevents full travel.

So i got my shop-vac and cleaned from above and below, but still didn’t get the full travel. Then i grabbed the blow-gun. Note to self: wear tight fitting goggles next time.

The design of the saw makes it very difficult to get access to clean the threaded rods. I even made a 90 degree extension to my blowgun.

I’m considering a few strategically placed holes in the sheet metal side to allow acces the bottom of the threaded rod which seems to be the area that packs with dust and prevents the full retraction.

The best way to get this area cleaned was to scrape it off with my fingernail. Or better stated, place said fingernail against the rod and turn the adjustment wheel. Next note to self: keep band-aids handy in the shop

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this only with the contractor saw or does the cabinet saw have the same problem?

Thanks.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I've never experienced this issue with my SawStop Cabinet Saw! I do run some pretty good dust collection, and yes, I do see some dust on the bottom of the screw, but not nearly enough to cause this type of problem.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I do regular service for a couple SawStop owners. I use a brass wire brush and an air gun to clean the screws then spray dry lube to help prevent sticking.

a good dust collector while running the saw helps but will not prevent buildup.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Never had the problem with my SawStop PCS but the dust collector is always running when I use it. I've noticed some sawdust on the screws but not enough to affect the operation of the saw.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Have had the same issue with my Laguna sliding table saw. About once a year I have to perform some uncomfortable acrobatics to get inside the machine to clean the build up of sawdust on the elevation and tilting rods and gears to get them to move properly.
One tip: brass brushes work great, are cheap, and will not damage the inner works. Better than bloody fingers and fingernails.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I don't have a SawStop although my wife thinks it was probably a good idea for me to get one. Maybe it is in my future. But for now I use a BT3100 Ryobi table saw. It also requires cleaning, probably more frequently, because the raise/lower mechanism involves two aluminum pieces sliding over each other separated by a steel shim. There is a screw that moves these pieces and it plus the aluminum pieces sliding surface is what must be cleaned and lubed. Some owners use dry lube but I use candle wax. It also does not attract dust and I find a little rubbing on the surfaces takes little time and is effective. Might work for you too.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Thanks for the comments. It is the acrobatics of getting to the screw to clean that makes this a bit of a pain. Plus, you almost can’t help but get a faceful of dust in the process.

I use a shop-vac connected to the dust shroud under the blade on the saw. Maybe not 100% of the time, but most of the time. I wouldn’t rate it any better than a C. When i am finished working, there is dust on all my jigs that are stored under the saw, on all the ledges under the main frame, and everywhere else it can sit.

Is the dust collection that much better on the full cabinet saws? I’ve never owned or worked on one.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Time for me to take a closer look at what might have built up over the past few years!

You’ll know it needs cleaning when you try to set 45 degrees and it will only go to 40 or 42.
Also gradually the blade gets harder to raise. After you clean it you will definitely feel the difference.

FlyingRon

Ron
At one point the tube from the underblade shroud on mine plugged up with sawdust. Don't know why but it really screwed up any attempts at dust collection until I poked the clog out.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a shop vac pulling through a dust deputy on as many of my shop tools as possible. The port on my little table saw is 2.5 inches and is from the blade shroud. It gets most of the dust. The tools are plugged into a power strip that is plugged to a auto-start switch for the shop vac. I use the shop vac a lot more when I don't have to turn it on. I have to switch between the 2.5 inch and 37mm hoses and/or move a hose but I don't have to switch the vacuum on and off.

Will a shop vac get most of the dust of a SawStop? I will definitely get a 110V one, I am used to dealing with the need for clean, sharp blades to be able to cut 3+ inches.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I have the SawStop contractor saw and have never noticed this problem? I have a 3HP DC, but I guess I should check mine out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS