Saw Stop on Time Warp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
Im curious as to how these saws are holding up after repeated tripping. you can see in part of the video towards the beginning of just how much the arbor, trunions, etc is flexed and pushed backwards. i wonder if it ever starts to run sloppy.

russel , if u trip that more then once in a life time, you best find another hobby, job cause power tolls won't be for that person!!!:saw::rotflm:

im still amazed he actually did that! i'd need at least 30 beers to even think about it!!:eek:ccasion1

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Hey all,

How much are these things again? Including the fence and any other "add ons".

I looked at the sawstop website and it said to check with dealers, woodcraft website doesn't list it on their page either. So I'm guessing that they are not cheap (kinda already know that).

I also hear that there is a new version cabinet saw coming out. Is it above or below the current one?

Thanks,
-Kevin

ghayes02

New User
Gary
You are right the Saw stop is fantastic. I have owned one for about 2 1/2 to three years. I can also tell you that it works exactly the way they say it does. I hit my blade with my finger, and I put a Bandaid on my finger and went back:gar-Bi to work......Great product, and great folks to deal with....

Gary

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Hey Stuart, how much did your thumb cost you????

Dave:)

I don't know Dave, I haven't seen a bill yet but it will be much more than the cost of a SawStop. Thank goodness for health insurance. I had an appt. today with my surgeon. He removed one of the three pins, the other two come out on Dec. 18. The dr. was aware of the SawStop because he asked if I had seen the video of the inventor putting his finger on the blade. He said he was surprised OSHA hasn't mandated its use in commercial workplaces. I said it was very expensive and his reply was that it was cheaper than medical care and workmen's compensation.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
BTDT with a wood splitter, won't be doing that on a table saw, not even with the short fingers.:nah::nah:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
As you probably know, I too have a SawStop for a couple years now. Now I've never needed the break to save a finger (let's keep it that way), but I figured the price difference between another cabinet saw of similar quality (Powermatic comes to mind) was worth the "insurance" ... like the airbag in my truck.

As for cost, depending on what you get ... expect to spend $3k - $3.5k on average.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
We also need to consider the non-dollar costs of a traumatic injury to your fingers/hand. A couple of days of pain are worth a bunch to me. How about a week or month or years of pain? The loss of a finger or damaged nerves are for the rest of your life and impact you in ways a truck load of dollars can't come close to paying for.

I've seen the hotdog demo a few times on video and once in person at the IWF. This show has sold me even though he didn't shove his hand into the spinning blade at a normal rate. I need to install a much better blade guard on my current saw and save my dinero for one of these.

If whomever regulates this kind of stuff makes it mandatory hopefully the cost of these types of features will fall to a range the regular person can afford. How much did it cost to add seatbelts to a car in 1958? Antilock brakes in 1989? Pretty standard on most cars now and affordable. They will need to figure out how to add this to existing saws to make it have a large impact.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I know it has me sold. I get nervous around the table saw so I try my best to be focused and in tune with the machine but I sure would like to have that extra insurance there. The one thing I wondered about is it looks like there is some kind of explosive charge that triggers the brake. Do you have to change the brake out every so often in case that charge goes bad? What is the failure rate of the brake? I checked the FAQs on their page and didn't really find any answers.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I don't think it's an explosive. I believe it's an electrical fuse. The fuse holds the brake back and when current passes through the fuse it allows the spring to kick the brake up into the blade.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Ah okay that makes sense. I saw a different video today and it looked like it was an explosive charge in there but the fuse makes much more sense. i wonder what kind of pressure that spring is under.:eek:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
WoodCraft has the 10" contractor model on their November flyer for $1779, it's shown with optional cast wings which are an additional $189. I think the Raleighwood store still has that model and one of the other larger models on the floor.

http://www.woodcraft.com/tab/001.aspx

Brian.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I don't know how much pressure it is under, but you can't compress the spring once it goes off.

gary

I would think it would be under a great deal to be able to react that quickly to a discharge. That technology is amazing. They had some demos of the bandsaw and chop saw they are working on pretty cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS