Saw milling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Pedneau

New User
Max
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some advice . I own a small sawmill in Apex and I'm trying to get started sawing some lumber in hopes of selling some of it at some point . This is not my source of income so please don't mistake this for an advertisement. My assumption is that those who use the wood will know best what sizes to cut. I've got pine of course but not sure what to cut the oak, poplar and walnut. I would appreciate any guidance.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
4/4 always sells. 5/4 sells good in the right woods (not really pine and poplar) 8/4 moves but not as fast as 4/4. I don't own a mill, but I am good friends with several mill owners and lumber suppliers up here.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
For furniture making just about anything quarter or rift sawn will move much faster than flat sawn. Leave the flat sawn to the BORG for the construction guys. Quarter sawn is preferred by many a wood worker.

Generally speaking X/4 quarter sawn when dry will dress out a 1/8" thicker than its desired thickness (ie 4/4 rough will dress out to 7/8). Where as flat sawn will dress out to 3/4. This is because as the lumber dries it shrinks... Quarter sawn shrinks more in width than thickness - flat sawn more in thickness than width.

I have been sawing for many years and I would be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

I might note that I don't know if your sawmill has quarter inch scales or not... My woodmizer has both inch and quarter scales. When cutting construction lumber I cut to the inch scale so a 1x4 actually comes off the mill measuring 1x4. But when cutting furniture lumber I cut to the quarter scale so a 4/4 comes off 1 1/8 thick.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I agree that quartersawn wood is what I would prefer to buy and it would set yourself apart from lumber retailers. Also, I like 8/4 boards so I can resaw them myself for thinner planks or cut off a chunk for band saw boxes, use the thicker for legs and other projects that need a heavier board.

Max Pedneau

New User
Max
Thanks for all the advise. Sounds like quarter is the way to go. I do have a scale on saw w quarters, it's a EZ boardwalk jr. I've researched quarter sawing and think I've wrapped my head around it. Cut log in half, then again, then cut boards off of cants? Any advise on this Jeff would be great. Like I said im
new to this. on another note what about drying? Air or kiln?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Max,

Welcome to NCWW. You have an excellent resource and fellow sawyer right in your backyard in New Hill. It's Scott Smith (scsmith42).

Scott's been doing this for quite awhile and also has kilns on site. He had a website but I can't get it to load so you can look him up here at the Community link under Member List.

Max Pedneau

New User
Max
Thanks again I'll get in touch with him. wow what a website, I think he's 10 min from me.
Ill shoot him a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS